Add more varied dungeon tilesets
issueid=4024 11-18-2015 09:45 PM
The Creator
Number of reported issues by adom-admin: 499
Add more varied dungeon tilesets

We should add more tilesets for dungeons, e.g.
  • overgrown
  • rotten
  • cave-like
  • and whatever else might come to our minds.
Issue Details
Issue Number 4024
Issue Type Task
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All with NotEye
Status Completed
Priority 2
Target Version ADOM r61
Completed Version (none)
Milestone Potential work pipeline
Votes to perform 7
Votes not to perform 0
Assigned Users adom-admin, jt, Ravenmore
Tags (none)

11-18-2015 09:52 PM
Ancient Member
I cant think of anything that would bring me more joy :D

- Dwarftown deserves a separate tileset for sure
- I had an idea to add a "corrupted" version of the basic dungeon tileset to be used in the CoC. The deeper you go the more often "corrupted" tiles appear. You know, walls sprouting eyes and tentacles and faces, that kind of thing :)
- The basic tileset needs a lot more variety. Once we add more decorative features it would be cool if each dungeon used only a subset of these tile variations. That would give each dungeon a distinctive feel.
- Natural cave is a must-have

06-15-2016 11:13 PM
The Creator
Krys, Zeno and Jochen are working on this (most likely for the next release).

06-17-2016 05:16 AM
...Maybe the 'l'ook message for the tiles could be specific as well, like for example: "a rotten section of floor" or "an overgrown section of floor".

09-05-2017 05:55 PM
Ancient Member
This is largely completed. I'd just like three more things:

- Chaos Plane
- Dwarftown
- "Chaos" dungeon variant.

Before closing entirely. Otherwise this will never cease growing ;) Also moving to "potential work pipeline" as it's not critical to the UI at this stage.

09-06-2017 02:57 AM
I was hoping that the Chaos plane would get a unique tileset. Was slightly disappointed when it was just a normal cave tile.

Would be cool if each dungeon got a unique subset of tiles. Maybe in the future you could add more, but getting the major dungeons with more unique tile sets is probably higher priority.

09-06-2017 08:12 AM
Ancient Member
There's *never* enough tileset variety if you ask me :D So many cool things still untouched!

Just thought I'd set a clear goal for this particular ticket, then we can add more later on. Also closed some other requests for more tiles as this pops up frequently.
Don't hesitate to add suggestions here though :)

12-22-2017 06:32 AM
After all the new stuff added recently, it would be nice to have some lovely tile sets to go with them. A few areas that come to mind include:

Volcano: The cave setting is fine, but the grey area really doesn't match the theme. I think it should be more red/brown in color to make it more like a volcano.

Fungal Forest: Again, cave is fine, but it's still a boring grey (where in ascii it has a pretty green/yellow/brown color) Maybe having some random mushrooms growing around or giving it a different color would be appropriate

Heavenly Area: Haven't gotten to this area myself, but if it's the same as the other areas (just being grey), hopefully that can be changed to something similar to what ascii has.

I know the next thing being worked on is PC customization, which I'm super excited for. Hopefully an update to the tile sets can also be in the future as well, as I'm sure it would give the graphic version of ADOM some extra flavor.

12-23-2017 10:37 AM
This task should be broken down into specific tilesets.

12-23-2017 01:08 PM
Ancient Member
Good point. I've marked this task as completed as we've added cave, and extended the dungeon variants (like overgrown, sewer) from TB's original post.
I'll open up new tickets for specific tilesets and variants.

12-23-2017 05:05 PM
So does that mean I should make RFEs for specific tilesets? Might seems a bit excessive for each one individually, unless you mean to make one big one and have people post ideas.

12-25-2017 03:49 AM
Quote Originally Posted by Jarinex
So does that mean I should make RFEs for specific tilesets? Might seems a bit excessive for each one individually, unless you mean to make one big one and have people post ideas.
Unless it takes you less than an hour to make multiple tilesets, individual RFEs for specific tilesets are exactly what is needed.

12-25-2017 05:45 PM
Quote Originally Posted by SinsI
Unless it takes you less than an hour to make multiple tilesets, individual RFEs for specific tilesets are exactly what is needed.
Hmm idk having a larger post might allow people to post ideas for areas that could use unique tile. I can think of at least six places off the top of my head. Might be a little spammy.

01-15-2018 05:11 PM
Ancient Member
OK, after some deeper thought: I'm opening a new ticket that I have full control over:

http://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=5925

I'll be posting new RFE's for individual sets and linking them there in the opening post.

+ Reply