Self-flagellation mechanics
issueid=1680 01-08-2013 03:27 AM
Number of reported issues by ixi: 51
Self-flagellation mechanics
with an appropriate equipment you can easily move your alignment from C- to L

It is possible to increase natural regeneration, find equipment that gives regeneration (with necklace of rapid healing of cause!), additionally you can be candle-born trollish healer (but this is not requirement) and have healing skill at 100.

You can just laugh using whip, reading messages "You feel some remorse. You feel as if behaving in proper form.", and just waiting till alignment moves towards L.

I don't know whip mechanics very well, but I suggest:
1) Damage taken should be based on the whip, (don't know weather it works this way now). If you use Whip of the snake and has good whip skill - damage should be higher.
2) While self-flagellation PC's perception shouldn't work (for now I noticed that PC doesn't receive great strength waning messages.).
3) Self-flagellation could reduce permanently: max HP, Ap, natural HP regeneration, and maybe St, Dx, To, Pe & Speed if it moves alignment toward L.
4) Alignment shouldn't be increased after it reached L- (don't know weather it works this way now). If you are already lawful for what you should whip yourself?
5) If PC has some equipment that give regeneration, game should tell: "Maybe you should get rid of some protection".
Natural regeneration and healing skill shouldn't work some time after self-flagellation.
6) Add chance to critically hit yourself with whip (more alignment, but risk of bleeding, stunning, massive damage or even death).

If some of those will be implemented PC will really suffer from self-flagellation as it should be...

Maybe this should be a separate issue... Why sacrificing gold could change your alignment without limit but giving gold to beggars has a limit?..
Issue Details
Issue Number 1680
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Creator Feedback
Priority 5 - Medium
Affected Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 8
Fixed Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 0
Users unable to reproduce bug 2
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

01-08-2013 03:56 AM
Ancient Member
I believe that the alignment change is based on damage. Whips of slaughtering are much more effective at converting alignment.

I don't know that self-flagellation needs serious tweaking. Converting alignment late in the game is hard enough and the right equipment (namely the whip) is pretty rare at this point--though if new whips are forthcoming there could be issues there I guess. Having it occasionally produce scars might be an option, I suppose.

Saccing gold can't raise alignment to L+, AFAIK.

01-08-2013 04:09 AM
I have to say scarring sounds like a pretty cool addition.

01-08-2013 04:32 AM
yes... the scars reduce APP, every time... trolls look bad enough without scars

01-08-2013 05:46 AM
If there's going to be some sort of added negative effect to self-flagellation, I suggest that it should be that self-flagellation abuses Dexterity and/or Perception. Dexterity works well as a way to discourage overuse, since whips work with Dexterity. Perception is good if you just want it to have a small, more lasting downside.

It could also abuse Appearance, but I don't think anybody will seriously consider that to have an effect on their decision.

01-08-2013 06:23 AM
Ancient Member
Well, Dx would be a great deterrent [scars, btw, = -1Ap/-1Dx, so it would be perfect fit], but I must say you have a very odd reason for thinking so. It's not like anyone actually uses whips as weapons, for the most part, since the good ones are far too rare.

+ Reply