Make monsters in walls immune to physical damage
issueid=2374 09-28-2013 03:21 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by _Ln_: 97
Make monsters in walls immune to physical damage

Currently monsters that are able to pass through walls can be easily damaged there with melee attacks and missile attacks (ammunition will magically be left on the adjacent tile as if it simply hit the wall).

I propose to make melee and missile attacks with weapons (or unarmed) or other items (like holy water against ghosts) to deal zero damage to the creature in the wall (because it's in the wall). Also make monks' kicks and mindcrafters' greater telekinetic blast only damage the creature if the wall is successfully destroyed.
Issue Details
Issue Number 2374
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 8
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 17
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 1
Votes against this feature 10
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

09-28-2013 03:40 PM
Ancient Member
If you wanted to do this, the same should apply to touch spells and bolts, I would think.

09-28-2013 03:58 PM
Ancient Member
I feel like this would be really annoying. At the same time, it wouldn't add that much to gameplay. The strength of monsters that can pass through walls is that chokepoints are useless against them, but if you can't hit them in walls then you have to lure them into an open area. Sure you can get surrounded in open areas, but they could do that just as well in a corridor, because they can pass through walls.

Logically, I don't see a problem with hitting monsters while they're in the walls - if they don't stick out of the walls at all how can you even see them?

09-28-2013 04:59 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer
If you wanted to do this, the same should apply to touch spells and bolts, I would think.
Bolts don't work on them. Touch spells are fairly close to ball spells IMHO (Burning Hands, Destroy Undead). Bless and Healing vs undead may be somewhat fishy I suppose.

09-28-2013 05:28 PM
Ancient Member
If they can attack you, then there are going to be moments when a significant part of them is outside the wall (partially on your square, so to speak) and becomes hittable. Invincibility would just be unfair, and has potentially drastic consequences on the power level of these monsters. It's not like the ability to hit creatures inside walls is exploited at all at the moment. Players already prefer to lure them out in the open to fight them because they would have to dig out the walls to get at the loot otherwise.

If you absolutely have to change something to be happy, give creatures in walls a defense bonus. I don't see the necessity.

09-29-2013 01:44 AM
Ancient Member
I think this is a good example of something that isn't broken and doesn't need fixing.

09-29-2013 04:13 PM
Ancient Member
This would make Earth Temple pretty frightening if nothing else.

09-30-2013 07:47 AM
Ancient Member
If this is considered, weopons 'of penetration' and phase weapons should stiil inflict damage.

09-30-2013 09:33 AM
Maybe simply add them some PV, as they are partly covered by wall?
Though it's still strange how ghost can be hit with a weapon at all.

09-30-2013 09:38 AM
Ancient Member
Also, if they were entirely inside the wall and never showed any part of themselves, you wouldn't be able to tell they're there.

09-30-2013 09:54 AM
Silfir, this is the same telepathy that allows seeing monsters behind you.

09-30-2013 10:22 AM
Ancient Member
No, that's the PC periodically taking quick glances over the shoulder, and having an image in his head of what he's seen. They're pretty good at it.

09-30-2013 10:30 AM
Ancient Member
I agree with Grond, Silfir and SirTheta. I oppose this change.

09-30-2013 10:56 AM
Quote Originally Posted by SirTheta
I think this is a good example of something that isn't broken and doesn't need fixing.
My feeling is the same. There is no point making game realistic.

+ Reply