[RFE] Allow to use Stealth to lose pursuers
issueid=4391 08-15-2016 11:33 AM
Number of reported issues by SinsI: 41
[RFE] Allow to use Stealth to lose pursuers
Add extra Stealth checks to stop monsters from pursuing fleeing PC

In ADOM, monsters are extremely persistent - once a monster has locked up on you, he'll keep attacking you with no chance of losing him unless something else stops him. It is especially annoying for some monsters you might not want to attack, like cats or karmics.

One of the classic ways of escaping is to hide from pursuers to make them lose track of you.
I suggest adding some minor Stealth checks to allow that - either constant (maybe after a few turns or after getting far enough from them), or whenever something blocks LOS from the monster to the PC (including other monsters); or maybe both.
Issue Details
Issue Number 4391
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 9
Suggested Version ADOM r68 (v2.2.2)
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 6
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

08-15-2016 04:34 PM
Ancient Member
I'm pretty sure this is already the case. Usually if you can get a bit of distance between you and a monster, once you get out of its line of sight it will often lose you. Some monsters are "stickier" than others, though.

eg. You can easily lose monsters in a hallway like this

Code:
########
#.f.....
#@#######
#.......
########
Even with the monster next to you, if you step diagonally and right here, there's a decent chance you can lose him. If he's farther away, the chance is quite good.

08-17-2016 08:15 AM
Ancient Member
You can lose monsters by teleporting too. In that case, if a whole wagonload has been pursuing you, they'll just stand there, in front of your last known position and do nothing.
After teleporting newly generated monsters with not be affected.

Still, the suggested feature is very nice in that stealth at some proficiency level could be used explicitly, rather than as a passive skill.
That way you're normally stealthy but when there's extra need, you will be able to pay even more attention to details and lose your tail.
I'd imagine stealth skill value + Dx & Pe checks and maybe equipment check.

+ Reply