Adjust trap messages to make more sense
issueid=2523 12-04-2013 09:32 PM
Number of reported issues by faradan: 19
Adjust trap messages to make more sense

1) Walking into an acid trap (and failing to dodge it) currently only gives a message like "Suddenly a stream of acid pours from the ceiling!". This doesn't make it clear that you were hit by the stream (and possibly took a lot of damage). It would be nice to have this followed by something like "You are hit." or "You are mutilated."

2) Walking into a teleport trap with teleport control immediately gives the "Move the cursor to the desired position..." prompt without explaining why you're choosing a position. It's kind of confusing and jarring. Maybe add something like "You are engulfed by a green light. Move the cursor...". I don't have a problem with the current behavior for characters without teleport control, but I think this new version sounds just as good: "You are engulfed by a green light. Suddenly you stand somewhere else."

If anyone else can think of other trap message oddities feel free to add them.
Issue Details
Issue Number 2523
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 10 - Lowest
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 20
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 8
Votes against this feature 1
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

12-04-2013 10:36 PM
Ancient Member
I always thought it kinda annoying that I had no message at all when stepping on tele trap and activating it, I voted yes.
The acid trap also doesn't make it clear what actually happened.

12-05-2013 01:55 AM
Ancient Member
This is a fantastic request and I support it wholeheartedly.

12-05-2013 07:24 AM
Ancient Member
I think teleport traps are designed to teleport you very suddenly, without any warnings. That's how it works in my mind and that's what I suppose TB wanted them to do. The existing messages are rather explicit about this: "Suddenly you stand somewhere else" without control, and "The *foo* suddenly disappears!" for enemies, IIRC. You don't see any green light or anything, and I think that makes sense. If it's a trap, it should catch you by surprise.

I think a message would be in order to avoid the confusion of having to move the cursor out of the blue, but the coherent thing would be something simply like:

Control: "You suddenly teleport. Move the cursor..."
No control: "Suddenly you stand somewhere else." (as now).

12-06-2013 08:04 PM
Agreed with Al-Khwarizmi about teleport traps. About acid traps, I could get behind the original idea, but I suggest text more along the lines of "You are burned!" or "Arghhh!".

12-06-2013 08:04 PM
The message would have to be different in the case of the PC not taking any damage due to resistances or other reasons. ("You are not harmed.")

+ Reply