Race+Class skill combo doesn't work like in the manual
issueid=6455 02-18-2019 05:50 PM
Number of reported issues by gaberlunzie: 1
Race+Class skill combo doesn't work like in the manual
Manual says race skill + class skill = higher value; this is untrue in some cases

Heyo. It is widely known that Necromancers have low skill values. When trying out some things, I realized this might be due to a bug; it seems necromancer skills 'override' racial skills, at least in some cases, rather than stacking with them. The manual implies it should stack: "If you receive a skill from both your class _and_ race, the skill score will be higher than normal."

I tested this mainly with Food Preservation, making human necromancers, human farmers, and human fighters; troll necros, troll farmers, and troll fighters; and ratling necros and ratling farmers. I made only a few, not enough to state any accurate numbers, but enough to show a clear pattern.
- Human and Troll Farmers had FP values notably higher than either corresponding fighters, or the ratling farmers; the class and skill values seemed to stack as expected from the manual.
- Human and Troll Necros had values a lot *lower* than corresponding fighter; while their average starting score was somewhat higher, their dice modifier was much, much lower to the point where their skill maxed out at 60-70 while corresponding fighters maxed out at 90-100. Compared to the ratling necros, the human and troll necros where on average slightly higher, but the differance was slight enough to have been just RNG.

The effect is thus that in at least some cases, classes with bad starting skills actively take away racial skills from races with good starting skills.

I did a few very short tests on two other skills too; Appraisal for necros, and Alertness for healers, and the same seemed true; the very low value of the class overrode the more decent racial value. In the case of appraisal, the starting score (not just the dice) where lower, though again with such a short test this could have been RNG. This seems very counterintuitive, and I guess it's unintended, but if it's not a bug in the game it's a bug in the manual ;P

Thanks a lot for a great game btw, just returned to it after a ~6 year hiatus, and it's grown a lot!

P.S., since I don't have internet on my computer anymore I'm running a few month's old version, but looked through the changelog and couldn't find anything mentioning it so I assume this still exists.
Issue Details
Issue Number 6455
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Unconfirmed
Priority Unknown
Affected Version ADOM 3.3.1
Fixed Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 0
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

+ Reply