Missing save files/slots
issueid=6333 09-28-2018 08:53 PM
Number of reported issues by dbrckovi: 2
Missing save files/slots
Load game list is sometimes empty

Hi, I've encountered a weird bug.

I've been playing the steam version for the past two weeks without problems.
A couple of days ago I switched to 3.3.0 beta using steam's 'Beta' tab in the game properties and played a few characters without problems.
Yesterday I switched back to 'NONE - Opt out of all beta programs' and noticed that I can't load a saved game... the 'Load game' list is empty.
I created a couple dummy characters and saved them either with 'Save and quit', or 'Save and return to menu', but the 'load game' list was always empty.
Please note that I'm not trying to load the games which I made before or during the switch to 3.3.0. I'm talking about games which I stared after I switch back to NONE.

As I was playing back and forth with this bug (starting and exiting the game, creating new chars, etc...) at one point all of the games appeared in the list.
I thought that the problem is fixed, so I wanted to delete all dummy games. As soon as I pressed the red 'X' next to the first game and confirmed that I want to delete it, entire list disappeared again.

After a bit of fiddling around, I noticed that if I create a new game and name my character 'As', the load game list will be properly populated.
When I delete the first 'As' game, the list will disappear.

Here's the screenshot of the 'load game' list when it works:

If I now delete the first item in the list, the entire list will disappear.

As I was typing this post, I tried to delete the first 'SD' game (second to last in the list), and then this happened...

At the end, I managed to fix the problem by deleting all save games one by one from last to first, and now the list behaves as expected.
I'll post more details if I manage to reproduce it again.
(I think it might be the problem in the name of the "Goblin, 10" character. It was the first time I used a comma, space and a number)
Issue Details
Issue Number 6333
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Linux (Steam)
Status Not a Bug
Priority 5 - Medium
Affected Version ADOM 3.2.2
Fixed Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 1
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

09-28-2018 09:04 PM
As I'm reading this post, I noticed it's not very well worded...
Here's what exactly happened in the screenshots....

- Deleting the entry [e] on the first screenshot will produce the second screenshot.
- Notice that both 'sd' games are gone, even though I deleted only one, and Foer.svg which was named 'Sd' in the first screenshot, is now named 'Goblin, 10' in the second.

09-28-2018 09:20 PM
Deleting everything from the list didn't fix the problem.
When I create a new game and save it, it will appear in the list as expected.
If I then restart the game, the 'load game' list will contain two entries: one original, and the second with the file name 'Foer.svg'

It seems that this Foer.svg is the problem. I'll upload my entire /home/dbrckovi/.adom.steam/savedg folder as attachment

10-01-2018 04:44 PM
Had the same exact issue at one point after updating to beta. I downgraded to current version and my save were still gone. At some point I re-updated the game to Beta and all my save were there once again.... Extremely weird!

I may be an issue with Steam more than ADOM.

10-02-2018 08:10 AM
Administrator
The 3.3.0/1 beta on macOS now use a different location for the data directory (we changed this to be more in line with the Apple conventions). I think this might cause the confusion.

<code>/Users/<user>/Library/ADOM/adom_steam</code> is the new directory and <code>/Users/<user>/.adom.steam</code> (see https://www.adom.de/home/faq.html).

When you upgraded to 3.3.0 the existing data directory was moved to the new location. If you go back to an older version, a new (empty) data directory will be created in the old location. So switching between 3.2.2 and 3.3.1 is possible, but you also have to move the contents of your data directory back to the old location.

Please also note that 3.2.2 ignores saved games from 3.3.0 and above (in case you want to copy them back).

10-02-2018 04:44 PM
This is not macOS. I'm running Linux Mint 19 (I haven't explicitly mentioned it because I selected it in the Issue Details box)

The FAQ (linux section) mentions only /home/<user>/<data> .adom.steam
So I guess that either the FAQ should be updated, or changes from macOS leaked into linux version, or this is unrelated issue.

In any case, I fixed it by deleting all files in the savedg directory. New games now work without problems.

10-02-2018 04:53 PM
Administrator
Ok, sorry. Well, I somehow thought you were on macOS. ;)

The FAQ is correct and the directory hasn't changed on Linux. But saves from 3.3.0 or 3.3.1 can't be loaded with an older version and therefore are ignored (even though the files still exist in the directory).

+ Reply