Issues with ADOM server and/or synchronization
issueid=6340 10-01-2018 04:35 PM
Number of reported issues by unholy: 11
Issues with ADOM server and/or synchronization
Last screen when exiting ADOM does not auto close

Last screen when exiting ADOM (synchronization with server) does not auto close. At first the screen freezes for 3-4 seconds, then"unfreezes" with the fire animation in the background. No other choice but to kill ADOM process.

the started to do so in the current version (only a few days ago), and is not resolve in the Beta.

After about 30 second I force close the app. I made a thread about that in the Steam forum, and one other guy confirmed that it also happened to him. In my case, it happens every single time since last week.

I have Win 7 64bits.
Issue Details
Issue Number 6340
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Fixed
Priority 3
Affected Version ADOM 3.3.1
Fixed Version ADOM 3.3.3
Milestone Important Bugfixes
Users able to reproduce bug 0
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users jt
Tags (none)

10-02-2018 08:02 AM
Administrator
Hi... could you please upload the adom.log file(s) located in the ADOM directory. The server is up and running, so it might be related to a different issue.

10-04-2018 01:57 PM
Hey jt, I'm trying, but when use the upload function in the lower right of the page, it tells me "invalide file"....

10-04-2018 02:03 PM
Administrator
Just put it in a ZIP file or similar, that should help. ;)

10-04-2018 02:15 PM
Doesn't work as a .rar either lol :P

EDIT : BUT ok with .zip. weird :P

10-04-2018 03:24 PM
Administrator
Thanks. Ok, so far I can see that your local game installation is missing some highscores that are stored on the server. After the first new highscore is successfully retrieved from the server the log stops.

Could you please check if the other log files ("adom.log.1 - adom.log.9") have similar content or if they contain some error message. Also could you check if a file called "ADOM_HS.LCK" is in the ADOM data directory?

10-05-2018 07:52 PM
The other .logs seem to have the same errors in them. Yes I have an ADOM_HS.LCK. Should I upload it?

Thanks!

10-05-2018 07:58 PM
Administrator
Ah, the ADOM_HS.LCK is probably causing this issue. Please delete it and try again.

10-05-2018 08:44 PM
Yes! It Works! Would you be so kind as to explain what is that file I deleted? Why was it there ?
Thanks again!

10-05-2018 09:04 PM
Administrator
It's a file that is used to "lock" the highscore file, so that no other ADOM process can access it at the same time. So if ADOM wants to write a new highscore to the local highscore file, it creates this file, writes the highscore and then removes the file again. Now if ADOM crashes during this, the file might remain on the hard disk. Normally ADOM displays a dialog if this happens, but it doesn't seem to work during the server synchronization.

I will improve the way this file is handled during synchronization.

10-06-2018 06:37 PM
Quote Originally Posted by jt
It's a file that is used to "lock" the highscore file, so that no other ADOM process can access it at the same time. So if ADOM wants to write a new highscore to the local highscore file, it creates this file, writes the highscore and then removes the file again. Now if ADOM crashes during this, the file might remain on the hard disk. Normally ADOM displays a dialog if this happens, but it doesn't seem to work during the server synchronization.

I will improve the way this file is handled during synchronization.
Hey thanks a lot for the explanation!

Ok I get it.

Well to be honest it seems to be handled quite well during sync as this particular issue does not seems to be widespread at all.

01-23-2019 09:14 AM
Administrator
The graphical version of ADOM now switches to an ASCII display to display this error message. This should prevent being stuck in a graphical screen without knowing that ADOM is in an error state.

+ Reply