Make monsters that can cast 'ice bolt' stop casting it when they know the PC is immune.
issueid=2277 08-08-2013 04:48 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by Stingray1: 97
Make monsters that can cast 'ice bolt' stop casting it when they know the PC is immune.

The player character can know via the Monster Memory when a monster is immune to a certain element.

I think monsters that can cast the 'ice bolt' spell should also be intelligent enough to realize that the Player Character is immune to cold when they see him resist their 'ice bolt' spell a few times and stop casting it on the PC.

Monsters that come to mind are: Ogre Magi, Nonnak, Shadow Wyrm and Chaos Archmage.
Issue Details
Issue Number 2277
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 8
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 15
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 7
Votes against this feature 11
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

12-11-2013 11:57 AM
Ancient Member
Probably the best solution is to get rid of immunities entirely. Then there's no problem.

12-11-2013 02:34 PM
Ancient Member
Actually, resistances (especially multiple) have the same problem. A glowing ball doesn't do much more than tickle you, as soon as you have double fire resistance or better. And that's very easy to get, there are multiple guaranteed artifacts with resistances.

Maybe ancient wyrms should stop casting glowing balls entirely. They can hit you in melee for hundreds of damage, casting a very weak spell instead is a waste of turns.

12-11-2013 03:24 PM
Ancient Member
Probably the best solution is to get rid of immunities entirely. Then there's no problem.
Only if all monsters in the game that have an immunity are also deprived of it.

12-16-2013 08:02 AM
Ancient Member
I disagree with this for precisely the reasons JS has stated - these spells have the capability to be dangerous even if you're immune (I should know, I've died!)

12-16-2013 08:24 AM
Ancient Member
Yes, with the new freezing blood corruption. That is even more possible.

12-16-2013 08:28 AM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer
I'm not sure if you're being ironic. But if you aren't, come on, immunity is a distinctive feature of the game with lots of strategies revolving around it. You can't just go and remove it. You'd be removing a lot of interesting decisions and strategies for the game.

Make certain immunities rarer, OK, but remove immunities altogether, hell no!

12-18-2013 07:34 PM
Voted no, because in some situations monsters casting Frost Bolt is actually what you want.

12-18-2013 07:50 PM
Ancient Member
I'm assuming you mean that in a negative way.

If so, yes. You want the monster to cast the spell at the player character a few times, maybe slowing the player character down considerately, then realize that the player character is most likely immune and nice and slow and come in for the kill. Which will happen automatically of course when this suggestion is implemented.

12-19-2013 11:03 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Stingray1
I'm assuming you mean that in a negative way.

If so, yes. You want the monster to cast the spell at the player character a few times, maybe slowing the player character down considerately, then realize that the player character is most likely immune and nice and slow and come in for the kill. Which will happen automatically of course when this suggestion is implemented.
Well, no - c.f. red piranha lake, eliminating creatures behind you [think shadow wyrms; giant slugs & cats]. There are actually some very neat tactical uses of breath attacks esp. when you're immune/heavily resistant.

12-19-2013 11:32 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by SirTheta
Well, no - c.f. red piranha lake, eliminating creatures behind you [think shadow wyrms; giant slugs & cats]. There are actually some very neat tactical uses of breath attacks esp. when you're immune/heavily resistant.
This RFE is about ice bolt though, which a monster does not cast either through another monster or past the PC.

This suggestion will make the piranha lake more difficult to freeze over with an Ogre Magus, yes. I was misunderstanding what paivi was referring to. Which was in a positive way.

12-19-2013 11:35 PM
Ancient Member
Don't shadow wyrms breathe ice [as opposed to casting ice], often eliminating the shadows they've surrounded you with? I'm not certain I really understand this RFE if it's only casting ice - that seems like an oddly restricted interpretation of changing attacks in response to what the PC is immune to.

12-19-2013 11:53 PM
Ancient Member
Oh, that was to keep item destruction as a good reason for the breathers to continue using their attacks.

I don't recall Shadow Wyrms breathing ice.

12-20-2013 06:59 AM
Stingray, both positively and negatively, I guess, although I wasn't really thinking about the monster's point of view. For the player, it's a viable way of building bridges over normal rivers too, especially if you can swim. (And why would you want to build a bridge if you can swim? Well if you have no waterproof blankets...)

I feel that this suggestion would add very little to the game while taking away some fun tactical aspects that reward creativity.

12-20-2013 08:16 AM
Ancient Member
Well, just remember that Ogre Magi are pretty stupid. So they will cast the spell pretty much, before they realize it is better to bash this one.

+ Reply