Add new command: vomit
issueid=1424 12-11-2012 10:13 PM
Number of reported issues by Pim: 9
Add new command: vomit
Allow any character to lower their satiation level at will

Along the established lines of Wipe face and Clean ears, I suggest a new command: Vomit.

Main use would be to reduce satiation level.

Perhaps also allow projectile vomiting. Vomit in a direction, range 1, maybe more depending on just how bloated you are. Splash your enemies for very very small water / kinetic damage. Splash your friends, possibly turning neutrals into hostiles, possibly garnering big laughs from the townsfolk.

The purpose during normal gameplay would be to reduce satiation below bloated, in order to allow for the eating of useful corpses before they rot away. Also, if projectile vomiting is allowed, could be used to anger neutral npcs (a la Ventriloquism).
Issue Details
Issue Number 1424
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Rejected
Priority 5 - Medium
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 7
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 1
Votes against this feature 16
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

12-11-2012 10:18 PM
I'd also suggest that a character who is not Satiated or more, has nothing in their stomach, and therefore would only lower their satiation value by a tiny bit. Some stomach fluid would still come out, but not enough to make it a projectile.

A vomiter might also take 1 point of damage due to "acid reflux," or perhaps stagger for one turn.

12-11-2012 10:39 PM
Ancient Member
I don't like this. Bloating is fine as it is, IMHO. There's cooking/food preservation for keeping corpses around, or you can just not overeat.

12-11-2012 10:39 PM
Ancient Member
This is just weird :/

12-11-2012 11:23 PM
Ancient Member
Drakelings can already spit acid, which reduces their satiation level.

12-11-2012 11:26 PM
Ancient Member
Soon to be joined by Urinate (females get a to-hit penalty, obviously).

I know that not being able to eat stomacemptia is annoying. You're just going to have to play around that restriction and eat smart. If you munch yourself all the way up to Bloated, that's kind of your fault. It's currently the one thing that encourages people to stock food other than stomafillia later in the game, and that's a good thing, too.

Cultural conditions are already preventing characters from eating in certain ways; dwarves find it beneath them to eat orc and so on. All races except drakelings simply would never think of intentionally inducing themselves to vomit, with the exception of drakelings, who have honed their peculiar anatomy as a weapon. From a flavor standpoint, it's not heroic enough, and also gross.

12-12-2012 12:43 AM
O_o

I suggested something similar in the "stomacemptia is useless when bloated" thread... but not quite as disgusting or weird.

My suggestion was to simply extend the ability to "spit" to all races, with only drakelings and the exhale sulphur corruption gaining acid in their spit to do actual damage. For other races, it would do no damage, but would be capable of angering non-hostile NPCs if you do it at them. And just as with drakelings, spitting with other races would also help to lower satiation.

The only argument I could see for having a "vomit" command might be to help recover from sickness. And even then, it feels rather... unseemly. Spitting in a person's face is something a hero might do given the right impetus, intentionally vomiting is something I'd think no hero would do (drakeling spit notwithstanding).

12-12-2012 04:59 AM
Ancient Member
With the unlimited supply of stomacemptia. I don't think this is needed. I for one always carry some. If the player is stupid enough to not eat it before becoming bloated, then too bad.

12-12-2012 04:29 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Aielyn
I suggested something similar in the "stomacemptia is useless when bloated" thread... but not quite as disgusting or weird. My suggestion was to simply extend the ability to "spit" to all races,
Yes, that's what gave me the idea, because I couldn't rationalize spitting as lowering satiation level.

The only argument I could see for having a "vomit" command might be to help recover from sickness. And even then, it feels rather... unseemly.
Unseemly? We're talking about heroes who regularly EAT CORPSES. As a humanoid myself, I would certainly be ready to induce vomiting the instant I notice any ill effects from eating a strange new corpse. Strange herbs, too.

Spitting in someone's face is much less heroic to me than inducing vomiting to save your own life. (Of course the original intent wasn't to save lives, but for convenience. Ha! Anyway, I stand by my suggestion.)

12-12-2012 04:40 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Stingray1
With the unlimited supply of stomacemptia.
That is only the case in mid game, and characters without Herbalism will either be stuck with cursed stomacemptia (a rather extreme solution), or spend uncursing supplies on it (less extreme but more resource intensive). Good, tough choices for a character to make, and that's good gameplay in my opinion, but an early game character has none of those choices.

For an early game character concerned about starving to death, it is more effective to eat until bloated, if by doing so you can avoid carrying those food items with you, therefore lowering your burden levels, therefore making the food last longer.

Vomiting certainly isn't a necessary addition for gameplay balance or anything, but it makes good sense that any adventurer who regularly eats strange corpses, potentially deadly, would be standing by with a finger ready to stick down his/her own throat.

...and that would have the added benefit of allowing those newbies (myself among them) the "good gameplay" tough choice of vomiting up that precious, precious food in his tummy, or giving that precious, precious strength-increasing ogre corpse the opportunity to rot away before it can be eaten.

12-12-2012 04:50 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Pim
That is only the case in mid game, and characters without Herbalism will either be stuck with cursed stomacemptia (a rather extreme solution), or spend uncursing supplies on it (less extreme but more resource intensive). Good, tough choices for a character to make, and that's good gameplay in my opinion, but an early game character has none of those choices.

For an early game character concerned about starving to death, it is more effective to eat until bloated, if by doing so you can avoid carrying those food items with you, therefore lowering your burden levels, therefore making the food last longer.

Vomiting certainly isn't a necessary addition for gameplay balance or anything, but it makes good sense that any adventurer who regularly eats strange corpses, potentially deadly, would be standing by with a finger ready to stick down his/her own throat.

...and that would have the added benefit of allowing those newbies (myself among them) the "good gameplay" tough choice of vomiting up that precious, precious food in his tummy, or giving that precious, precious strength-increasing ogre corpse the opportunity to rot away before it can be eaten.
Cursed stomacemptia works best if you want to empty the PC's stomach. This thread reminds me of the model that ate herself to death. Well her stomach exploded, she did over-eat regularly and then vomited. Eventually she couldn't get the gag reflex working no more and it exploded. Not sure whether it's a true story though.

12-12-2012 08:50 PM
Ancient Member
You have to take into account the Bloated restriction for eating exists for a reason. Instead of putting in a command like that, you might as well remove the restriction altogether.

12-13-2012 09:36 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Silfir
You have to take into account the Bloated restriction for eating exists for a reason. Instead of putting in a command like that, you might as well remove the restriction altogether.
That is an excellent argument, but I think I can counter it with a not-so-excellent analogy:
Taking damage exists for a reason. Instead of putting in a First Aid command, you might as well remove the ability to take damage.

Just as with hit points and damage, it's the ebb and flow of satiation, and the serious consequences, that make keeping track of it a fun addition to gameplay.

By the mid- or end-game, vomiting would have about as much use as cleaning ears or wiping face. But in the early game, it would provide another meaningful choice for the player. It could even act as a type of satiation first aid: if done quickly enough after eating something poisonous or diseased, vomiting could lessen the potency of the poison or the duration of sickness.

The goal of such a change is to make the early game a bit easier.

12-14-2012 04:22 AM
Ancient Member
Then it's a bad change.

12-14-2012 04:30 AM
Ancient Member
It's pretty rare (or should be) that you're bloated in the early game, and it's easy enough to learn to avoid it.

12-14-2012 01:36 PM
I like it, but I actually entered this same rfe for Adom 2 :) (Because it takes ages and ages to lose the bloated status in that game.) To make it less of an easy out, I'd add the 'nauseated' status.
- Vomiting automatically makes you nauseated for a while (random duration). First aid and Healing might help reduce it.
- Being nauseated prevents you from eating or drinking (you just can't bring yourself to).
- While nauseated, there's a very small chance each turn of spontaneously vomiting. Max is three times, until you manage to eat again.
- Nausea can also be caused by other things, smelly monsters or rotting corpses for example.
- If you vomit too often, you get sick.

(I too find the idea of eating raw (possibly humanoid) meat way grosser than the idea of throwing up.)

01-06-2013 09:21 PM
Bulimic heroes?

01-06-2013 10:39 PM
This is a really strange suggestion IMO. Especially since the game provides you with tools to deal with being bloated.

01-07-2013 01:31 AM
Quote Originally Posted by tootboot
This is a really strange suggestion IMO. Especially since the game provides you with tools to deal with being bloated.
What tools are those? You can't eat stomacemptia while bloated. Amulet of hunger? That's pretty rare. Only reliable tool seems to be to 'w'ait, 'w'ait, and 'w'ait some more...

RFE: make it possible to eat stomacemptia while bloated.

It was mentioned here that "With the unlimited supply of stomacemptia. I don't think this is needed. I for one always carry some. If the player is stupid enough to not eat it before becoming bloated, then too bad.". If you don't let yourself get bloated in the first place, what's the use of stomacemptia?

01-07-2013 01:47 AM
Quote Originally Posted by mike3
If you don't let yourself get bloated in the first place, what's the use of stomacemptia?
To empty your stomach when you become satiated so you can then eat more *foo* 'til you become satiated again, at which point you can rinse, wash, repeat.

01-07-2013 01:53 AM
Quote Originally Posted by Black Mantis
To empty your stomach when you become satiated so you can then eat more *foo* 'til you become satiated again, at which point you can rinse, wash, repeat.
What sort of special corpses drop that frequently that you can eat them up so fast? You mean like ogres? I don't seem to get any St. gains from those. Perhaps because I don't usually play characters starting with low St all that often.

+ Reply