Diplomacy/Persuation skill
issueid=1354 11-20-2012 03:18 PM
Number of reported issues by Spellweaver: 9
Diplomacy/Persuation skill
A skill that allows making peace with monsters and alternative solutions of quests.

I'm unsure what name is better, but they both fit.
The skill can be given as guaranteed for, say, humans (who really lack some unique benefit) and classes like merchant.
It can have two uses:
1) Monsters pacifying. When applied on hostile intelligent monster, there is a chance to pacify it, but after some (may be 2 or like this) fails monster starts ignoring it (it's tired of your speeches). There should also be exceptions of monsters like undead, demons, unique bosses (but not all uniques). On higher levels it can even have a chance to make an enemy your companion.
Mostly it works like Music, but not on animals. It would be useful the same way music or necromancy is.
2) Quests solutions. When used on unique (nonhostile, I think, but can be on hostile too) npc's it will allow some alternative solutions to quests.
Like, if you use the skill on Hotzenplotz after taking sheriff's quests, it will allow (if skill level is high enough) to make crime leader afraid of justice and give up (maybe he can ask you to fight his half-orcs to prove you are really as strong as you say). This solution will give you a higher lawful boost (without a need to attack Hotzenplotz) and, maybe, higher reward from sheriff.
Issue Details
Issue Number 1354
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Rejected
Priority 10 - Lowest
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 6
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 4
Votes against this feature 2
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

11-21-2012 05:23 AM
I like the idea of a skill like this. Not only would it give more value to the Charisma stat (which otherwise is only really useful for reducing shop prices if you're male, and improving chances of pets/companions obeying commands), but it would also provide further ways to successfully survive in otherwise dangerous situations, especially if you're trying to be Lawful.

It could also be given a further boost to chances if wearing "of leadership" items or the necklace of the silver tongue. Furthermore, it could passively increase chances of successfully offering peace to a scared NPC. "Persuasion" is a poor choice of name, as it overlaps too much with Haggling in concept. "Diplomacy" works a bit better.

As for uses in quests, here are the quests I'd like to see it used on (just to give ideas if this is implemented):

* Raider Lord quest - defeat his band, but not him. Use Diplomacy on him. Three possible results - He's convinced to turn himself in, he's convinced to leave and never return, or he refuses to listen. If he turns himself in, which requires a "perfect" roll (and therefore would be rare), you get a special message not unlike how handing his corpse to the Sheriff gives a special message, and some additional reward from the Sheriff. If he is convinced to leave, he will drop an item that can be used to prove to the Sheriff that you drove him away, which will net the usual reward... but alternatively, you can keep the item and use it (since it would be quite a nice item). If you fail the roll, he will refuse to listen, and you must defeat him.

* Ratling Rebel's quest - rather than killing Dak, you use Diplomacy to try to convince him to cease using non-humanoids in the Arena (the humanoids can give their permission). This will satisfy the Ratling Rebel's quest, but will result in a lawful boost rather than drawing the PC towards Neutral. It will also significantly reduce the rewards from fighting in the Arena. Using it prior to the 20th fight will prevent the PC from obtaining the golden gladius - the reward will instead be a swift eternium long sword (thereby providing an item that is somewhat better than the gladius in terms of basic attacking quality, but still subject to some destruction effects and without the ability to get Tactics from Bart). Note that you only get one attempt.

* A new quest of some sort. Could perhaps also provide a way for characters without Diplomacy to get it.

I'm not sure I like the idea of having it used on Hotzenplotz, because he's not just a criminal, he's a crime lord. He has used Diplomacy, himself, to build his empire. He wouldn't turn himself in just because of Diplomacy and a show of force against his bouncers. On the other hand, I would like to see a way that Hotzenplotz can be brought to justice without being killed.

11-21-2012 06:30 AM
Ancient Member
Not sure if I agree this is required (and it seems like a ton of work), but if it were done, I'd rather see it merged with the utterly useless Haggling, which, as you mention, is quite close in concept.

12-10-2012 10:43 AM
The Creator
As far as I am concerned it's too much work for too little gain. Thus rejected.

+ Reply