Add a "pay in advance" feature for shopkeepers
issueid=2676 01-25-2014 05:03 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by _Ln_: 97
Add a "pay in advance" feature for shopkeepers

In one of my recent games I was trying to buy a ring of teleport control from a shop while afflicted by teleportitis. Unfortunately, I was too slow to actually pay for my purchases, triggering a shoplift (and breaking my Paragon of Order possibility, which I was trying to do). This is not the first time something like this happened.

Can we implement a special feature to give a shopkeeper an amount of money which will act as "backup". If you teleport away with unpaid items which overall price is left than what you'd given the shopkeep, he won't go mad but your "backup" will be burned completely and prices will go up (to compensate for your wild behavior). If the overall price is higher, this will be considered a normal shoplifting scenario.
Issue Details
Issue Number 2676
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 8
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 21
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 1
Votes against this feature 16
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

01-25-2014 05:15 PM
Seems a little clunky, especially for a very isolated incident. (OTOH there is a 'clean ears' command...)

How about this: if you drop gold in a shop, you get something like "The gold vanishes! Dogbreath the Trollish shopkeeper says 'aye hero, I've added it to your credit." The amount of credit you get (i.e, just how honest the shopkeeper is) depends heavily on Charisma and racial bigotry.

Also, perhaps Munxip could extend a character with no money or food 100gp of credit, which would drive up prices, and which you'd have to pay back.

01-25-2014 06:02 PM
Ancient Member
I think the consequences of being forcefully teleported out of a shop should be seen as one of the drawbacks of teleportitis, and as something that makes the game more interesting. I think this RFE is an unnecessary complication.

01-25-2014 10:20 PM
Hmm, While I personally consider the teleportitis interestly challenging as well, I think that this could be implemented as Merchant PC special skill, maybe.

01-26-2014 05:23 AM
I voted no as it is directly your fault for pool sipping or eating a corpse, it is a consequence. If you are making the case for unspoiled characters, let's hear it. Or some other justification.. But not on the grounds you suggested.

01-26-2014 05:00 PM
Ancient Member
I'm amused when this happens, so I'll have to vote no.

01-27-2014 10:05 AM
While I understand why people are saying no, I do think there should be some consideration of this issue. It doesn't make sense, to me, that a character who picks up an item in a shop and then is unintentionally teleported should then receive an alignment drop if they had truly intended to pay for the item.

How about something a little more... interesting? Make it so that you can make an exchange with a shopkeeper by dropping money in their shop... but some shopkeepers might decide to "ignore" the money drop (and whether or not they "ignore" it, they would consider it theft if you try to pick it up again). It could also require more money - say, double - to buy an item by this method, as the shopkeeper needs to be convinced that they're not being ripped off by fake gold or something like that. But the alignment drop would be avoided, either way, through this approach.

Not a great solution as described, but it might inspire a better one from somebody else.

01-27-2014 12:50 PM
Ancient Member
Aielyn: the problem is that ADOM shouldn't care about your intentions ;) For example, another hilarious way to piss off Waldy is to anger a DT resident while switching with them and unintentionally attack because you aren't paying attention. I shan't even get into the unholy aura corruption. Sometimes ADOM just isn't fair and that's fine because there are solutions (get +TCtrl before picking up items in this case - making Ln angering of a shopkeeper all the more ironic of course).

01-27-2014 02:18 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Aielyn
How about something a little more... interesting? Make it so that you can make an exchange with a shopkeeper by dropping money in their shop... but some shopkeepers might decide to "ignore" the money drop (and whether or not they "ignore" it, they would consider it theft if you try to pick it up again). It could also require more money - say, double - to buy an item by this method, as the shopkeeper needs to be convinced that they're not being ripped off by fake gold or something like that. But the alignment drop would be avoided, either way, through this approach.
Very very complicated. You'd get noobs discovering this method to buy items and not the standard one, and not knowing that they are paying double. It's not worth complicating the game for what is essentially a non-issue.

01-28-2014 12:04 PM
Quote Originally Posted by SirTheta
Aielyn: the problem is that ADOM shouldn't care about your intentions ;) For example, another hilarious way to piss off Waldy is to anger a DT resident while switching with them and unintentionally attack because you aren't paying attention. I shan't even get into the unholy aura corruption. Sometimes ADOM just isn't fair and that's fine because there are solutions (get +TCtrl before picking up items in this case - making Ln angering of a shopkeeper all the more ironic of course).
It's different when it's the player and not the character that does it. If the player unintentionally causes the character to do something, then it's more like the character having an evil side that arises due to stupidity. :P And when it comes to the Unholy Aura corruption, it's corruption that is causing it, so I don't see an issue.

But when it comes to accidental shoplifting through teleportitis, there's no intent of the PC to steal when picking the item up, and the "chaotic" act isn't due to corruption (even if the PC has the teleportitis corruption), but simple bad luck. It just seems to me that alignment should be dependent on the PC's intention, at least to some degree (obviously, it can't factor in long-term intention, like doing chaotic quests in order to eventually destroy Andor Drakon as an avatar of Order).

Quote Originally Posted by Al-Khwarizmi
Very very complicated. You'd get noobs discovering this method to buy items and not the standard one, and not knowing that they are paying double. It's not worth complicating the game for what is essentially a non-issue.
And that's why I said "Not a great solution as described, but it might inspire a better one from somebody else."

01-28-2014 04:06 PM
Ancient Member
I have used teleportitis to rob shops without control, it was my and the PC's intention to rob the shop. How will one distinguish whether it was intentional or accidental?

By paying in advance.

I agree with the majority, that this can be easily avoided by not picking up items while not having teleport control and teleporting. This is just one of those small in game "problems" a player has to solve through gameplay. No need to change the rules.

+ Reply