Add a more fluid transition between in-game and death screen.
issueid=3294 08-16-2014 08:39 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by Ravenmore: 38
Add a more fluid transition between in-game and death screen.
Add death animation and a fade between in-game and death screen.

Right now when the character dies, after the last (more) prompt you're taken immediately to the death screen.

This is a bit too sudden, and will be even more so once more efficient (more) handling is implemented. I'd like to add some sort of animation or effect to indicate that the character has died, something simple like maybe draining color from the sprite, or even the whole game screen.

Then fade that out and fade in the death screen. Just so the player can track what's going on.

Can't be too long either, not to make it a tedious flow roadbump.
Issue Details
Issue Number 3294
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All with NotEye
Status Implemented
Priority 5 - Medium
Suggested Version ADOM r51
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone Initial Steam Release
Votes for this feature 6
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

08-17-2014 03:22 AM
On a semi-related note, I really miss how the older versions of the game would ask if you wanted to see your inventory, make a memorial file, etc. right away after you died... rather than having those things added on as one of many options on the "you died, now back to start" screen that exists now. I've accidentally left several characters .FLG-less in 1.2.0 because I'd just gotten so used to the choice coming up right after death and forgot to push "f" on that last screen.

08-17-2014 03:55 AM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by FnrrfYgmSchnish
On a semi-related note, I really miss how the older versions of the game would ask if you wanted to see your inventory, make a memorial file, etc. right away after you died...
I miss that quite a lot too, and wish it could be brought back.

08-17-2014 05:30 AM
Ancient Member
Perhaps a config option to auto-create .flgs? (Probably excepting zero turn characters so rerolls aren't included).

08-17-2014 10:09 AM
Upon players death the game asks:

- Would you like to try regain your life as a Player Ghost? Y/N

Choosing yes the player is transformed into a Player Ghost and has to kill X number of monsters - internally the game calculates this as stealing life force. This should be hard, of little chance, but if the player succeeds he is resurrected with 10% of HP and can go on.

The resurrection however disturbed the Plane of Dead / Otherworld and a Reaper - Arch Enemy - has been released, which later has to be confronted and destroyed in order to stop harrasments.

11-25-2014 04:33 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by anon123
I miss that quite a lot too, and wish it could be brought back.
And I really prefer the current way. Some roguelikes ask like six questions (do you want to see that, that, that, that, that, and that). And if you answer 'no' to one of them, but then you decide you actually wanted to see something, there is no going back. I hated this. A menu is much more convenient.

ADOM is more bearable with just two questions, but still.

An option to auto-create FLGs would be nice, though.

11-26-2014 05:41 PM
Ancient Member
The transition is implemented, by the way.

+ Reply