Changes to haggling
issueid=6287 08-19-2018 04:03 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by Blank4u47: 29
Changes to haggling

Almost everyone will agree that haggling has minimal value in the game. At early levels when you need it, it makes things more expensive. You can only use it a set number of times per merchant so it’s hard to train. It has an effect on all items in the inventory.

I propose the following changes:

1. Haggling should be done per individual item directly before buying it. Pass or fail, you can only use it once directly before buying it.

2. Haggling should reduce a percentage of ‘inflation’ based on charisma. 10 cha= 10% reduction from inflation of the base cost, this would help ME and DE the most because it’s all inflation for them thanks to racism.

3. Failure in the skill will cause you to buy the item at original proposed cost. This means you can’t haggle unless you can afford the item first. No money? No bargaining!
Issue Details
Issue Number 6287
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 5 - Medium
Suggested Version ADOM 3.3.0
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 1
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

08-20-2018 09:13 AM
Ancient Member
If there's no possible downside to using haggling, why bother having it be an active skill? If the skill was applied automatically when purchasing items, it would be no less interesting and far less tedious.

08-20-2018 12:51 PM
Ancient Member
Yes, but it’d be more effective to train it that way, and I’m sure you could easily add an option to use it on all the items you wish to buy. The idea behind only haggling upon purchase was designed to be more like real haggling and in addition it should be easier to program due to not having to track individual item prices. It sure makes more sense than haggling for all of a merchants wares right away, then only buying a few items and receiving the discount all game.

08-20-2018 07:35 PM
Ancient Member
Even if you added an option to use it on all items, there's no point in having it be an option with this design. Purchasing without Haggling would be strictly inferior. There's not necessarily anything wrong with having a passive discount skill, but if you want to keep it active there should be some non-trivial decision in when to apply it.

08-20-2018 07:48 PM
Ancient Member
True. But I still think there is a need to make haggling more active so it gets training. So perhaps upon failure it raises the cost of the item being haggled a small amount?

08-20-2018 08:13 PM
Ancient Member
Can't passive skills get trained too? Listening is checked in the background all the time and trains up quite quickly.

08-20-2018 08:33 PM
Ancient Member
So are you suggesting just make haggling passive then? And increase it on every purchase? If so, then I’d vote for that rfe, although I like what I suggested as well. If either was implemented instead of the current system I’d be happier with haggling skill. Heck, I’d even be ok with removing the skill entirely.

08-21-2018 02:43 PM
The idea for making skill pasdive has been here for some time: #4102

On the haggling training. There were times when I was actually using it up on every shopkeeper. I never had a skill increase (or at least never noticed). Might be related: #3625. On the other hand listening, steath, swimming, climbing, healing, concentration and many more often get increases from training.

There were also several suggestions to make haggling useable not only on shopkeepers to save this skill: #1216, #3612 and #1213. The last one got implemented.

There was also a bit unpopular #3345 to make haggling work in an opposite direction too.

08-21-2018 03:18 PM
Ancient Member
Whaaaaaa!? Did not know those got implemented! Totally going to play around with this.

08-21-2018 06:49 PM
I mean the last one, #1213 only... :) Not so big change... Sorry for confusion.

08-21-2018 08:13 PM
Ancient Member
Ah. I was just going around haggling with everyone now :( rattling traders response was golden though.

+ Reply