Iron silver
issueid=1787 01-18-2013 06:48 AM
Number of reported issues by aerol: 71
Iron silver
Some silver items are made of iron

This is in the spirit of this other related issue. Some silver items like diadem of beauty (silver diadem), helm of beauty, helm of leadership and silver helmet (silver helmet) and the artifact the silver key are all made of iron. This looks like a bug rather than a feature. Perhaps these items should instead be made of "gold", ADOM's default metal for every metal item that's not iron, mithril, adamantium or eternium. Confused weaponsmiths, mist elves and adventurers in general will be grateful.
Issue Details
Issue Number 1787
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Unconfirmed
Priority Unknown
Affected Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 9
Fixed Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 6
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

01-18-2013 07:22 AM
I think they are just iron covered by silver, and so able to rust, etc, but yes, for mist elf it's a problem.

01-18-2013 07:33 AM
I apologize in advance for my ignorance regarding metallurgy, but if the iron is completely covered in silver then how would it come into contact with oxygen in order to rust? Is silver porous or something? Even allowing that, it's still illogical in the case of smithing and mist elves.

01-18-2013 12:08 PM
Ancient Member
Steel, lead and copper are also made of iron, which allows for a variety of jokes. :)

01-18-2013 12:34 PM
Quote Originally Posted by aerol
I apologize in advance for my ignorance regarding metallurgy, but if the iron is completely covered in silver then how would it come into contact with oxygen in order to rust? Is silver porous or something? Even allowing that, it's still illogical in the case of smithing and mist elves.
Defects would explain it. Also, silver itself does tarnish - it's not strictly reacting with oxygen, but it does oxidise (with Sulphur).

01-18-2013 03:40 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by anon123
Steel, lead and copper are also made of iron, which allows for a variety of jokes. :)
IRL, steel is quite definitely made of iron.

01-18-2013 03:52 PM
Ancient Member
Indeed, but for ADOM, they're all exactly the same metal. (Add platinum to that list!)

The first time I noticed this, I arrived at the conclusion the terms refer to the items' color and not the material they're made of.

02-11-2013 08:20 AM
Also related to issues 1793 and 1804.

03-12-2015 07:52 AM
Ancient Member
Excuse the thread necromancy but:
Why not just put all items made of brass/copper/silver/gold/platinum to a separate category of materials and call them "precious metals"?
That way you don't have to create a separate type of metal for each and assign it 3-5 items and instead have them grouped into a single type with many items.
There are many more inconsistencies in similar vein, like Iron Crown of Havlor actually being made of eternium and so on.
Let iron be iron and not just a generic group to put a number of other materials into.

03-12-2015 12:26 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Aielyn
Defects would explain it. Also, silver itself does tarnish - it's not strictly reacting with oxygen, but it does oxidise (with Sulphur).
We're modeling defects in metals now? Iron is probably a DEFAULT VARIABLE. Get real.

+ Reply