Make 'L'ook and 'T'argetting the same
issueid=4907 08-30-2017 01:34 PM
The Creator
Number of reported issues by adom-admin: 499
Make 'L'ook and 'T'argetting the same

Currently it is not the same codebase and there are slight differences in behaviour. They should be the same generally (except that targetting naturally draws the target path, etc.).
Issue Details
Issue Number 4907
Issue Type Task
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Completed
Priority 5 - Medium
Target Version ADOM 2.3.0 (r73)
Completed Version ADOM 2.3.0 (r73)
Milestone "Ease of Use" UI
Votes to perform 3
Votes not to perform 0
Assigned Users adom-admin
Tags (none)

08-30-2017 06:03 PM
Ancient Member
I like this kind of unification, hope to see more of it. As an idle thought experiment i've tried to think of ways that roguelike UI could be as easy and seamless as possible. One of those ways was an automatic highlighting of points-of-interest at all times (imagine what the pc is currently looking at) and draw a faint hilight line to said object as well, with buttons to cycle through. Then you can simply press 't' or 'l' for one-button looking and shooting.

08-31-2017 12:31 PM
The Creator
@auricbond: I hope that the next ADOM release will feel even better in tiled mode, because:
(1) You will be able to shoot at monsters by left-clicking them (and you get a different cursor when a shot is possible and also some highlighting to that monster while hovering over it)
(2) You will get tooltips while hovering over a field that provide the same information as the look command.

08-31-2017 06:44 PM
Is there a way to detangle L and T? Currently if you have Targeted a mob, the next use of Look starts centered on the mob instead of the PC.

09-01-2017 01:10 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by adom-admin
@auricbond: I hope that the next ADOM release will feel even better in tiled mode, because:
(1) You will be able to shoot at monsters by left-clicking them (and you get a different cursor when a shot is possible and also some highlighting to that monster while hovering over it)
(2) You will get tooltips while hovering over a field that provide the same information as the look command.
Sounds good, although I'm not a mouse guy myself. I think it's of value to frame interface/control enhancements as targetting all users and not just easily intimidated newbies. Even those who are veterans could benefit from more fluent controls (I'm inclined to agree with one Steam reviewer who described it as having 'emacs-like' keybindings).

+ Reply