Add flooded cavernous levels
issueid=3930 10-15-2015 08:01 PM
Number of reported issues by ixi: 51
Add flooded cavernous levels
Just a nice addition

Example below:

Code:
 #########  ######################### ##########################################
##=======## #======.......======....###================...=====================#
#==...====####==#..........===.......###==============.........====....========#
#.......===##===##.........==.........###==============........#==.......======#
#..>.....=======###........===##.......#========##=======......#==........#====#
#........=========##......=====##.......=======####=======....##==......###====#
#........##========#......==..==##.....=========####======..###======####====###
#......#####=========...====...####....===========###=========================# 
#.....##==================...........============================..==========## 
#.#####..===============...........=====#====##===.=============.....=======####
#==###.....=======..#===...........====##===#####...============........=======#
#===#......=====....###===........#==========###....============..........=====#
#==.........==##......##==........##========##........============............=#
#==.........==#.........===......##=========#..........=======##=.............=#
#==.........==##........=====#####=========.............=====#######..........##
#===.......====##.......====================.............======### #....<.....=#
#===.......=====#......=====================.............========####........==#
###===...=======.......=============###=======#...================###.......===#
  ###=============...============#####========###========================..====#
    ##############################   ########## ################################
That's how I see such level filled with monsters and dungeon features:

Code:
##=======## #======....TTT======T...###======x=========T[.=====================#
#==..T====####==#."""...T..===T......###=========A====T/.....TT====..."=====A==#
#......T===##===##.........==........"###===A==========.....T..#==...""".======#
#..>.....=======###[.......===##.....""#========##=======......#==..."""..#====#
#...@....========A##T.....=====##......T=======####=======....##==......###====#
#........##========#T.....==."==##.....=========####======..###======####====###
#......#####===A=====...====.""####..TT===========###======================E==# 
#...TT##==================......[....============================T.=====A====## 
#.#####TT===============T..........=====#====##===.=====A=======(..."=======####
#==###T....=======.T#===TT........T====##==E#####...============....""..=======#
#===#......=====""..###===....E...#==========###..."======A=====T........T=====#
#==.........==##""....##==........##========##TT..."".============..........TT=#
#==T...[....==#.........===.....T##=========#..........=======##=T............=#
#==T........=A##T...'...=====#####=====A===............T=====#######..........##
#===.......====##.......====================T......(....T======### #....<....D=#
#===.......=====#......=====================TTT..........========####........==#
###===..T===A===......T=====A=======###=======#T..=========E======###.......===#
  ###=============..T============#####========###========================.T====#
Issue Details
Issue Number 3930
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 10 - Lowest
Suggested Version ADOM r61
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 1
Votes against this feature 1
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

10-15-2015 08:54 PM
Did you write this map generation algorithm yourself? That's a very pretty cavern. Care to talk some about how it works?

10-15-2015 09:01 PM
Quote Originally Posted by gr3ybird
Did you write this map generation algorithm yourself? That's a very pretty cavern. Care to talk some about how it works?
Actually nope, I just went to PC5, made a screenshot and redrawn it :) But I guess you can find cavernous level generation algorithm on roguebasin and modify it to draw similar level like I posted above. I can make a research and propose algorithm if that would be helpful.

Edit: found nothing useful except this. Don't think I have much time to design and test algorithm right now. I'll be on vacations this winter and might try implementing one myself to encourage implementing this ;)

10-15-2015 09:23 PM
Quote Originally Posted by ixi
Actually nope, I just went to PC5, made a screenshot and redrawn it :) But I guess you can find cavernous level generation algorithm on roguebasin and modify it to draw similar level like I posted above. I can make a research and propose algorithm if that would be helpful.

Edit: found nothing useful except this. Don't think I have much time to design and test algorithm right now. I'll be on vacations this winter and might try implementing one myself to encourage implementing this ;)
That is a cool method, but I already wrote something that generates very organic looking cave levels with a 100% chance that all the chambers will be connected. The code is a little longer than theirs, I think, but honestly you would have to add an additional pathfinding step to determine what chambers were connected for the purpose of placing stairs in the cellular automata code, so mine might really not be any longer all things considered.

10-16-2015 05:32 AM
IF water changed to a more realistic element - item destruction not random per turn (can rust/destroy in single turn), but slowly during time, maybe a big D roll per item - a good idea.

10-16-2015 07:20 AM
Ancient Member
I'd like to see more random dungeon layouts in general. While no map is ever exactly the same, they all have similar things in common, usually filling as much space as possible. Would be nice if you might occasionally come across smaller levels; perhaps even just two rooms with a down and an up, to make descending coc or ID a little quicker. Also randomised architectural patterns instead of just boring squares. Also maybe vaults with more tactical positioning and traps instead of just rows of enemies.

10-16-2015 11:33 AM
I'd love to see more layouts as well. There're a lot of different ways to generate pretty levels which look quite different to each other.

Hm, I sense someone voted against because he hates environmental challenges and item destruction :)

10-16-2015 11:45 AM
That's how I see such level filled with monsters and dungeon features:

Code:
##=======## #======....TTT======T...###======x=========T[.=====================#
#==..T====####==#."""...T..===T......###=========A====T/.....TT====..."=====A==#
#......T===##===##.........==........"###===A==========.....T..#==...""".======#
#..>.....=======###[.......===##.....""#========##=======......#==..."""..#====#
#...@....========A##T.....=====##......T=======####=======....##==......###====#
#........##========#T.....==."==##.....=========####======..###======####====###
#......#####===A=====...====.""####..TT===========###======================E==# 
#...TT##==================......[....============================T.=====A====## 
#.#####TT===============T..........=====#====##===.=====A=======(..."=======####
#==###T....=======.T#===TT........T====##==E#####...============....""..=======#
#===#......=====""..###===....E...#==========###..."======A=====T........T=====#
#==.........==##""....##==........##========##TT..."".============..........TT=#
#==T...[....==#.........===.....T##=========#..........=======##=T............=#
#==T........=A##T...'...=====#####=====A===............T=====#######..........##
#===.......====##.......====================T......(....T======### #....<....D=#
#===.......=====#......=====================TTT..........========####........==#
###===..T===A===......T=====A=======###=======#T..=========E======###.......===#
  ###=============..T============#####========###========================.T====#

+ Reply