Vortices, Reading, and You
issueid=4870 08-01-2017 12:41 PM
Number of reported issues by 4b5urd: 3
Vortices, Reading, and You
Alerts while reading books need updated!

When you're reading books, the game should alert you when a new monster gets within your line-of-sight, rather than when you get attacked. For characters like Mist Elves and wizards of all kinds who have very low Toughness, getting attacked by a monster could spell death. For example, I was playing my Mist Elven Wizard delving into the Caverns of Chaos. I had just gotten past the Animated Forest and was Strained! while having 7 books in my inventory. I decided to read them all to drop the weight. In the middle of reading the last book, Invisibility, a Lightning Vortex comes up to me and instantly kills me. The thing is, I had the Black Torc on me which I could have equipped for Shock resistance (I didn't have it intrinsicly), I had the Invisibility spell already available to cast and all of my ~250 PP available for use, if I didn't want to outright kill the Vortex. I also had Teleport and Teleport Control. I had all the tools I needed to survive if I had been given the chance, but the chance was not given to me. Hence, the reason I'm suggesting this change. In a game as brutal as ADOM where I'm trying to play without making back-ups so that my game is "legit", it truly stings to die in a way that feels so unfair.
Issue Details
Issue Number 4870
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Windows 10
Status Suggested
Priority Unknown
Suggested Version ADOM r60
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 2
Votes against this feature 6
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

08-01-2017 03:35 PM
It actually seems pretty fair to me: you have a hard time noticing them monster sneaking up on you if you have your nose buried in a book. The magic tomes in ADOM are shown to be enormously difficult to read and understand, requiring great intelligence and concentration. How well can you focus if you're looking up every 5 seconds? :)

It's good incentive not to read books in dangerous areas.

08-01-2017 03:38 PM
I'd rather learn than complain. While reading you're looking into the book, not around you. Especially while reading such attractive and facsinating book as Invisibility. Especially while being a Wizard, you probably was too way exited to look around from time. And you were trying to learn which requires focus on the book, not your surroundings after all. If I were a Mist Elf I would be extremly catious and aware and wouldn't choose risky surroundings as a place for reading. No kidding. I used to this in either safe locations or at least locked rooms.

Are you sure by the way there was no air vortex right behind your back a second ago while you were reading this message? ;)

Edit:
Well, if extraordinary high perception doesn't save from such situations already it could be a nice addition to quite a secondary attribite.

08-01-2017 08:52 PM
Yeah, I definitely think having a check against Perception (or maybe Alertness as well) in this situation would be neat.

---

I know advice wasn't solicited, but one valuable trick that really helps in this situation (or any case where you need to fiddle with your equipment or eat food or use herbs or w5 to heal or use an forge or whatever unmolested) is to lock yourself in a room. There are a couple of ways to do this:

A) Magic Lock. If you're a wizard and have this, then you're set.
B) Keys. You may not have the exact key that the door to the room, but you almost certainly have...
C) a wand of door creation. Just keep kicking down doors and creating new ones until you get one that is created locked, or that you have the key to.

Most enemies that can kill you in one hit can't pass through doors, and a door getting smashed down is one of the events that you notice when reading.

08-01-2017 11:37 PM
Yeah, I guess you guys are right. I made my post right after the event, and as it said it FELT pretty unfair and I was pretty mad about it. Still, it could be pretty cool to have checks versus Perception or Awareness to detect monsters while reading books.

08-01-2017 11:56 PM
Ancient Member
It could justify the sixth sense talent a bit if it was implemented as an early warning system for readers

+ Reply