Too many monsters appear peaceful
issueid=5332 10-14-2017 12:22 AM
The Creator
Number of reported issues by adom-admin: 499
Too many monsters appear peaceful

More probably should use the internal aggravated/ambushing states.
Issue Details
Issue Number 5332
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Implemented
Priority 2
Suggested Version ADOM 2.3.5
Implemented Version ADOM 2.3.6
Milestone "Ease of Use" UI
Votes for this feature 0
Votes against this feature 8
Assigned Users adom-admin
Tags (none)

10-17-2017 01:57 PM
The Creator
Changed. Monsters are a lot more aggressive in dungeons now. The big room has been exempted from this as it otherwise becomes a death trap.

10-17-2017 07:07 PM
Oh wow, this might have a pretty big effect on the game... maybe similar to the nerfing of invisibility. Speaking of which, will more monsters still be hostile even if you are invisible? Because if more monsters are generated hostile what is invisibility even doing considering that hostile monsters are so good at tracking invisibility now.

10-17-2017 10:45 PM
Did animated forest and dwarven halls get changed too? Could make that part of the game far more tedious/deadly than originally intended.

10-17-2017 10:51 PM
Ya I really hope this does not affect the Animated Forest. It is already very dangerous for low level (lowpv) characters, and I'm sure new players would get slaughtered.

10-17-2017 10:54 PM
The Creator
Quote Originally Posted by Negarretep
Did animated forest and dwarven halls get changed too? Could make that part of the game far more tedious/deadly than originally intended.
No, the animated forest hasn't been changed. And I just exempted the dwarven halls, too. Thanks for reminding ;-) !

12-29-2017 09:37 AM
Extremely bad change for Weaponsmiths - before, you could pacify enough monsters on the level with Music or Calm Monster and smith semi-safely.
Now there is no way to achieve anything similar.

The big room has been exempted from this as it otherwise becomes a death trap.
It's just as bad for all the rest of the levels with open design.
Can't even remember how many times I've tried saving the cute puppy in the new version.

Perhaps, If you need to alter behaviour of monsters for one level, it is not such a great idea in the first place?

12-29-2017 06:02 PM
Sinsi: Disagree, just had a very long weaponsmith game (taking on the supreme balor) with lots of smithing involved on D:6, had no problems with monsters bothering me... All I had to do was lock the door to the room. Saving the puppy isn't any more difficult than before either. I like that now 99% of the monsters aren't just wandering around neutral, I think this change was fantastic.

12-29-2017 06:59 PM
Quote Originally Posted by mtf
Sinsi: Disagree, just had a very long weaponsmith game (taking on the supreme balor) with lots of smithing involved on D:6, had no problems with monsters bothering me... All I had to do was lock the door to the room. Saving the puppy isn't any more difficult than before either. I like that now 99% of the monsters aren't just wandering around neutral, I think this change was fantastic.
You just got (extremely) lucky that the forge was generated on a level with no monsters capable of shattering doors. Even 1 or 2 levels deeper - and it starts to often generate monsters that can.

If a monster is Chaotic, making it aggressive is OK. But neutral monsters, like ants or cats, should be peaceful quite often.

12-29-2017 07:28 PM
Oh, no, plenty of monsters shattered the doors, I would just make another one and lock it. Bothered me like 5 or 6 times total? A complete non-issue. I disagree with what you are suggesting in pretty much every way.

01-18-2018 12:40 AM
If the new balance proves too aggressive perhaps it could be rebalanced again to somewhere in between. Players don't seem to be happy about the chance so far?

+ Reply