Bless spell
issueid=70 10-18-2008 11:18 AM
Number of reported issues by rmcin329: 2
Bless spell

I'm just posting that i'd like to see the Bless spell get improved in ADOM. At current all its really good for is causing dmg to undead, which theres better ways of doing, then casting Bless on them. Thats what dispel undead, or other things are for.

At current even as you get "better" with it, it continues to only give +1 PV, +2 dmg +2 to hit with melee weapons, ranged attacks, and kicks. Those bonuses are so small, that it makes the spell not even worth bothering to use, except possibly as a backup to dispel undead, for killing undead type enemies. If its primary use is going to be that, then give it some other name besides Bless.
Issue Details
Issue Number 70
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Windows XP
Status Implemented
Priority 9
Suggested Version Unknown
Implemented Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 7
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 7
Votes against this feature 2
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

05-14-2010 11:27 AM
Ancient Member
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't bless also lower food consumption and grant extra luck?

05-15-2010 02:28 AM
Ancient Member
Luck, yes. Food consumption, no (that's a separate benefit of crowning).

07-10-2012 06:26 PM
Ancient Member
It also gives +1 PV. It's a really nice, cheap spell.

07-13-2012 11:02 AM
Although I don't think it needs anything extra in terms of regular effects, I'd like to see some extra benefits to knowing it, in the form of special-case uses.

For instance, perhaps blessing certain NPCs could produce some sort of effect (there could be a similar functionality added to holy symbols, perhaps, but with harder conditions for generating the blessing effect). I could see, for instance, blessing shopkeepers of the same alignment (I assume they have alignment...) resulting in a slight discount in their shop. I could also see blessing, say, Bart, having the effect of him offering you some item - I could see it being, say, his old shield (a small adamantium shield, perhaps?), or maybe boots of speed.

Alternatively, I could see blessing Bart (after giving him the Gladius) being the first step in obtaining Celestrix (which I'd like to think will become available in 1.2). It would be pretty cool if Celestrix became the point of a trading sequence, especially given that one of its effects is a large boost to charisma. Also note that it would be appropriate if the process to get the Golden Girdle began with giving away the Golden Gladius.

12-08-2012 05:51 PM
The Creator
Bless is so cheap that IMHO getting rewards by blessing friendlies would be a very cheap way to extra benefits. But I have added a bit of scaling to the bless effects... only minor but still.

+ Reply