RFE: Scroll of Monster Identifcation
issueid=1374 12-04-2012 01:37 AM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by JellySlayer: 114
RFE: Scroll of Monster Identifcation
A scroll that allows you to identify monster's abilities.

I was seeing in one of the other threads someone (gut) pointing out that there are many battles in ADOM that are rather... unfair to people who haven't been spoiled a bit. Examples being banshee, gorgons, anything that casts death rays--things that can kill you before you realise you can protect yourself. Rather than trying to address all of these at once, I thought maybe an item would help:

Scroll of monster detection.
When cursed, adds the full description of one random monster into the monster memory, including all special abilities, average stats (at the PC's current DL), speed, etc.
When uncursed, adds the full description of all monsters adjacent to the PC into the monster memory, including special abilities, etc.
When blessed, adds the full description of all monsters on the level into the monster memory.

This would be a very useful item for new players. If you are in a dangerous area, you can read the scroll, then figure out the abilities of all the monsters you come across, and might help you avoid getting into trouble with the odd monster with a new and remarkable power. Might also be useful given that there are going to be many new boss monsters added that might have unusual combinations of abilities.

I would set them at a fairly low danger level, and relatively common--maybe as common as, say, scrolls of uncursing.

An alternate method might be to have it as a book, say a "Monster Compendium". In this case, you type in the name of the monster you want to look up, and it adds that specific monster to the monster memory. The book only has a limited number of reads, however, and then disappears.
Issue Details
Issue Number 1374
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Rejected
Priority 10 - Lowest
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 6
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 6
Votes against this feature 2
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

12-04-2012 01:46 AM
Ancient Member
Or just random / one / all monster(s) in LOS for C / U / B

12-04-2012 01:48 AM
Ancient Member
This could also allow for a challenge game where you try to meet as many monsters as you can and get a full compendium of their respective abilities.

12-04-2012 01:56 AM
I think a much more natural method would be to have information about such beings available from certain sources - that is, there should be a source that basically lets you know that a certain level message informs you about the Banshee, whose wail can kill.

An easy way to make it work is to have some sort of NPC early in the CoC that will mention certain dangers ahead. Once the player knows of the dangers, they can ask for more information from Thrundarr. Most of the really dangerous creatures are found deep in the CoC, and are relatively rare elsewhere.

There could even be a few extra benefits of talking to Thrundarr about these things. For instance, perhaps talking to Thrundarr about the Banshee could result in him giving the player exactly one piece of wax - if the player uses it too early, or it otherwise gets destroyed before it's useful, too bad.

12-04-2012 04:28 AM
Ancient Member
There are numerous warnings about the banshee in the game.

Edit - Monster memory is very informative and actually is a guaranteed warning for gorgon, banshee, emperor lich, add more here.

Edit 2 - removed hints of insults and added more.

12-04-2012 08:24 AM
Ancient Member
How about a single monster database available for all PCs and updated by all PCs and stored in some file? It will be populated as far as you encounter different stuff (say, info on glowing ball spell from Emperor Lich from game 1 and info on Death Ray which you witnessed in game 2). This would be great for player-specified bosses, as it is unlikely you'll see several during the course of one game.

12-04-2012 08:51 AM
Ancient Member
To be honest, I don't understand the issue people have with gorgons. When I was unspoiled, I never got turned into stone because I knew gorgons were scary and could turn me into stone... that's what gorgons are suposed to do in mythology, just like red dragons breathe fire and unicorns often teleport.

The banshee is maybe a little more extreme though.

In any case, I like both ideas by JellySlayer. And any newbie that sees a level mysteriously full of corpses and doesn't read the blessed scroll (as well as all his magic mapping and monster detection) deserves to die to the banshee and learn the lesson :)

12-08-2012 04:49 AM
Ancient Member
All other common scrolls in the game are useful to everyone. Making it common means experienced folk will get a lot of something they don't really need, instead of something better.

I hear your responses about rocks and battle axes, atleast those can be thrown or melted or sold, so don't bother.

12-08-2012 08:06 AM
Quote Originally Posted by Stingray1
All other common scrolls in the game are useful to everyone. Making it common means experienced folk will get a lot of something they don't really need, instead of something better.
Not commenting on whether having this new scroll be common makes sense or not, but...

I'm sorry, but not all common scrolls are useful to everyone. Scroll of Cure Blindness especially. Scroll of Amnesia, Blank Scroll, Scroll of Literacy Check, and Scroll of Light.

12-08-2012 08:56 AM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Aielyn
Not commenting on whether having this new scroll be common makes sense or not, but...

I'm sorry, but not all common scrolls are useful to everyone. Scroll of Cure Blindness especially. Scroll of Amnesia, Blank Scroll, Scroll of Literacy Check, and Scroll of Light.
No need to appoligise, it was my error.
Scrap everything i've said, the more useless stuff generated the fewer good stuff gets generated, so I'm all for this suggestion.

Edit - I can't seem to reach a decission. No, I don't want a scroll telling me everything about the new monsters. I prefer surprizes.

12-08-2012 06:04 PM
The Creator
I'm sorry to say that I dislike the scroll idea. I'm totally open for adding in-game spoilers that warn people of certain monsters. Please submit separate RFEs for such ideas but the scroll suggested above is a far too technical solution as far as I am concerned.

+ Reply