Change Something About Literacy
issueid=1317 10-31-2012 01:36 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by grobblewobble: 72
Change Something About Literacy

This falls somewhere halfway bug report and feature request.

In 1.2 you can fail to read scrolls as long as your literacy score isn't high enough. This has a strange side effect.

The problem is that characters that start with a low literacy and low dice, say, 20-30 and a modifier die of +1, have a much harder time getting the skill to a decent value than characters who start without the skill at all. Because with the potion of literacy you instantly get the skill at a decent value of around 60. This never used to be a problem, but now that the skill value became important for scrolls, it suddenly seems rather unfair. Having the literacy skill at the start of the game, even at low value, is supposed to be an asset and not a curse.

Not sure about the best solution.
Issue Details
Issue Number 1317
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Linux
Status Implemented
Priority 5 - Medium
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 5
Implemented Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 7
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 7
Votes against this feature 1
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

10-31-2012 04:04 PM
Ancient Member
This is indeed a difficult one. If you can't read very well, well then you can't read very well.

And not being able to read very well is not going make you learn to read very well very soon.

Maybe if we get a unique npc to do similar training in literacy as Yergius gives?

10-31-2012 04:06 PM
Ancient Member
Maybe Thrundarr could give the potion to anyone with Literacy < 50, and the potion could add around 50 points of Literacy.

10-31-2012 04:11 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Al-Khwarizmi
Maybe Thrundarr could give the potion to anyone with Literacy < 50, and the potion could add around 50 points of Literacy.
I like that. Maybe giving a choice between potion or stuff ID.

11-01-2012 10:33 AM
Another option: add a few new items designed to train literacy, that reduce in effectiveness as the PC's literacy level improves. They could all be books, thereby expanding the list of non-spellbook books. Here's a few quick ideas...

1. Book of Drofxo - designed to help PCs with literacy in the 25-50 range predominantly.
2. Tome of Depiction - Designed to help PCs with literacy less than 25.
3. The Collected Works of Sheik's Spear - For higher literacy levels.

How do they work? A lot like a Manual of Bridge Building, but not necessary for increasing Literacy. Instead, it helps to accelerate the rate of increase in Literacy. Each item could be obtained in some guaranteed way, much as with the Manual of Bridge Building.

Hey, there's need for a heap of new quests and associated items, right? These could be added to some sort of miniquest designed to help improve literacy.

11-01-2012 11:11 AM
My story:
A Merchant with 38 Le, 26 Ma, and around 30 Wi. No Concentration, but Literacy at 100. Uncursed spellbooks. Birth sign: Book. Fate smiles, Lucky, Ankh. No Cursed, Doomed (checked with a potion).
Frost Bolt - spellbook explodes onf first try.
Darkness: 2 first readings produce blindess and/or confusion. Third attempt make spellbook explode.

Why even bother generating spellbooks for the player ? Can I have a pile of gold or ugly clotches instead ?

11-01-2012 11:27 AM
Ancient Member
What level were you and was the spellbook blessed?

Merchants are not even the worst at reading, try finding a bookshop with a mindcrafter. :p That said, I do have a suspicion that reading books became harder since 1.1.1.

11-01-2012 11:50 AM
Ancient Member
b0rsuk, those failures are unrelated to literacy. If you had a literacy fail you'd have gotten a message about not being able to read the book. Concentration massively increases your ability to bookread, by the way.

On the subject of literacy I think someone that could offer training would be nice. And perhaps better base dice for the skill across all classes. Or just make it easier to train from scroll reading.

12-08-2012 07:36 PM
The Creator
The potion now increases an existing literacy skill if it is not yet maxed out.

12-08-2012 08:53 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by adom-admin
The potion now increases an existing literacy skill if it is not yet maxed out.
How is the PC to acquire the potion if he/she already is literate?
On completion of the elder's first quest he will only ID the stuff the PC is carrying if the PC is already literate.
The potion is only given to illiterate PCs.

Or is there now a choice on completion of the quest?

Edit

Oh, I see this:

Quote Originally Posted by Al-Khwarizmi
Nvm then.

Although +50 is overpowered in my opinion. If your literacy is around 50 you should already be able to read some blessed scrolls. That should get the wheel rolling.

+ Reply