Berserking Monsters
issueid=109 04-06-2010 12:53 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by JellySlayer: 114
Berserking Monsters
Berserking monsters behave oddly and can lead to an annoying crash

I'm sure that this has been discussed elsewhere, but I thought I'd include it for completeness:

Monsters who go berserk and enter a blind rage will occasionally target themselves rather than the PC. This often leads to funny messages (eg. The doppleganger looks like the doppleganger; the doppleganger is confused; the doppleganger attacks the doppleganger; the doppleganger is killed), and causes little harm except to deny the PC the experience resulting from killing the monster themselves. If it happens to a quest monster (eg. Kranach), then the PC doesn't receive the reward.

More seriously, if this bug is triggered by a companion, a near-fatal crash is triggered. The game will automatically save and close, and will do so every time the player tries to restore the game.
Issue Details
Issue Number 109
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Unknown
Status Fixed
Priority Unknown
Affected Version ADOM 1.1.1
Fixed Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 1
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 1
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

04-06-2010 06:29 PM
The crash should of course be fixed and also the player should be credited the kill if he caused the raging, but the rage emosuicide should be kept as a game feature (which I actually thought it was first time I saw this). It's just one of those randomly funny, yet believable in a fantasy RP context things that make Adom so enjoyable (when this happens I always remember our PnP Rolemaster session 20 years back when a minotaur attacked our puny halflings, rolled a critical failure and hit himself in the head with his axe).

02-03-2012 07:39 PM
Administrator
Berserking monsters don't kill themselves any more.

+ Reply