'Postponing' a wish
issueid=1179 08-15-2012 03:05 AM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by anon123: 111
'Postponing' a wish
Let the player wish for *one* other wish in case he wants to seek advice, or has changed his mind.

Suggestion
I was thinking you should be given a very limited possibility of wishing for wish items, hence "postponing" the event.

• Wishing for a ring of djinni summoning would give you a blessed one.
  • Wishing for a wand of wishing would give you a non-cursed one with 0 charges (having to wrest the last charge).
  • Wishing for the above items in plural would give a "*ONE* SHALL BE ENOUGH" message, then do the same.
  • Wishing for spellbooks of Wish would continue current behavior, as you can get more than one wish from those.

Why it'd improve the game
When you have to make a wish, no other actions may be performed. If you want to look or ask for advice here on the forums, IRC, etc., the game window must be left open. This leaves you unable to save the game and thus exposed to OS crashes or power failures. That is not a problem for veterans since it's unlikely that they'd come across a wish unprepared and not be sure of what they want, but for a beginner it might be different. If they were intentionally going to zap a WoWi/use a RoDS but change their mind at the last second, they can undo it, too.

Notes
All of this wouldn't be abusable (as far as I can see), since you spend one wish to get another one.
Issue Details
Issue Number 1179
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Windows 7
Status Rejected
Priority 8
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 2
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 0
Votes against this feature 6
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

08-15-2012 05:09 AM
I see two problems - first of all, beginners are unlikely to know about this method of wish-saving. Second of all, it erases all of the sense of "luckiness" at getting a wish, by letting you keep it in reserve for as long as you want even if it's from a pool, or something like that.

Other than that, it's mostly a well-understood rule of wishes that you can't wish for more wishes, and that includes wishing for another chance to make a single wish.

A far better idea would be to simple provide a method of saving when the wish prompt comes up, perhaps with an extra protection that forces a "restore" when next running the game and stopping people from saving a wish-prompt indefinitely and backing up those saves in such a state without extensive knowledge of how to bypass it. Obviously, there will always be ways around it, but then, the idea here is to maintain integrity for most people.

08-15-2012 07:55 AM
Ancient Member
No, because you can't wish for wishes. No one in the history of fantasy fiction who has wished for wishes has ever gotten their way; it's usually mentioned as the first loophole that the power that grants wishes won't allow. The suggested change would seriously hurt flavor and immersion.

Not that I think the current system is broken, unfair or in need of improvement in general. Wishes are powerful, but fickle magic. Of course you have to say what you want right away and get no time to think. How could it be any other way?

08-15-2012 08:35 AM
Quote Originally Posted by Silfir
No one in the history of fantasy fiction who has wished for wishes has ever gotten their way;
I hereby refer you to "The Great Wish Syndicate": http://www.online-literature.com/joh...-check-book/2/

Having said that, though, I do agree that that is not really suitable for Adom.

08-16-2012 05:43 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Aielyn
Second of all, it erases all of the sense of "luckiness" at getting a wish, by letting you keep it in reserve for as long as you want even if it's from a pool, or something like that.
Actually, what Anon123 suggests does not erase the sense of luckiness, instead it adds exposure to "bad luckiness".

Consider the following scenario:

1. You find a wish and defer it into a brass ring turning it into a ring of djinni summoning
  2. You kick at a lock door
  3. It was trapped with a collapsing trick door
  4. The random equipment destruction chooses the ring of djinni summoning and FUBARs it.
  5. Rage Shift-q in disgust

EDIT: Changed trap type as per Silfir's post

08-16-2012 06:01 PM
Ancient Member
Rings of djinni summoning are adamantium and almost never destroyed by anything.

Thanks for that short story, by the way! That should teach me to make outlandish claims for the purpose of expressing a point (but probably won't). Though technically, I did say "gotten their way". The dude eventually had to stop using his infinite wishes, after all. It also illustrates nicely how the magic is pulled out of a wish to be replaced by economics once the wishes become easy to master. Unless we're deliberately subverting the concept like in the short story, wishing should never become trivial.

08-16-2012 06:28 PM
Ancient Member
I'm beginning to regret suggesting this now :D

08-16-2012 07:14 PM
No, because you can't wish for wishes. No one in the history of fantasy fiction who has wished for wishes has ever gotten their way; it's usually mentioned as the first loophole that the power that grants wishes won't allow. The suggested change would seriously hurt flavor and immersion.

Not that I think the current system is broken, unfair or in need of improvement in general. Wishes are powerful, but fickle magic. Of course you have to say what you want right away and get no time to think. How could it be any other way?
So in order for the game to be good, it must follow established tropes, right?

08-16-2012 07:15 PM
Rings of djinni summoning are adamantium and almost never destroyed by anything.

Thanks for that short story, by the way! That should teach me to make outlandish claims for the purpose of expressing a point (but probably won't). Though technically, I did say "gotten their way". The dude eventually had to stop using his infinite wishes, after all. It also illustrates nicely how the magic is pulled out of a wish to be replaced by economics once the wishes become easy to master. Unless we're deliberately subverting the concept like in the short story, wishing should never become trivial.
However, we're not creating infinite wishes here, so how exactly does it make it "trivial"? Wish engines do that, and that needs to be stopped.

08-16-2012 07:17 PM
A far better idea would be to simple provide a method of saving when the wish prompt comes up, perhaps with an extra protection that forces a "restore" when next running the game and stopping people from saving a wish-prompt indefinitely and backing up those saves in such a state without extensive knowledge of how to bypass it. Obviously, there will always be ways around it, but then, the idea here is to maintain integrity for most people.
By "backing up the saves" do you mean like save scumming, or some way to try and cheat so as to replicate the wish? But why is a "restore" when re-loading required to prevent wish multiplication?

08-16-2012 08:31 PM
Ancient Member
mike3, all three of your questions have managed to shoot several miles off the point, which is kind of impressive and sad at the same time.

08-16-2012 11:31 PM
mike3, all three of your questions have managed to shoot several miles off the point, which is kind of impressive and sad at the same time.
Two of those questions were because I wanted to try and understand better what was meant by those posts. Can you answer them for that?

08-17-2012 04:59 AM
Quote Originally Posted by mike3
By "backing up the saves" do you mean like save scumming, or some way to try and cheat so as to replicate the wish? But why is a "restore" when re-loading required to prevent wish multiplication?
What I mean is that the wish should still feel unique and special, and thus saving mid-wish should be something that can only be done as a way to essentially 'pause' the game. It should not just become an easy way to, say, repeat the wish until you get a specific result (given the random factors involved, that is). It's not so much about wish multiplication as RNG-bypassing.

Obviously, you can still do those sorts of things using rings, wands, or spells, but pool wishes feel a lot more "lucky", and reducing that feeling makes it less like a wish and more like a cheat.

And to that point - Cheatman, I don't deny the risk involved, but turning a lucky wish from a pool into basically an on-demand wish makes it feel less like luck. And the risk of destruction can practically be nullified by putting it in a safe location until you want to use it.

08-17-2012 04:29 PM
I think you guys need to stop arguing about irrelevant stuff here, this feature won't be implemented and that's it. :P

08-18-2012 03:52 PM
What I mean is that the wish should still feel unique and special, and thus saving mid-wish should be something that can only be done as a way to essentially 'pause' the game. It should not just become an easy way to, say, repeat the wish until you get a specific result (given the random factors involved, that is). It's not so much about wish multiplication as RNG-bypassing.

Obviously, you can still do those sorts of things using rings, wands, or spells, but pool wishes feel a lot more "lucky", and reducing that feeling makes it less like a wish and more like a cheat.

And to that point - Cheatman, I don't deny the risk involved, but turning a lucky wish from a pool into basically an on-demand wish makes it feel less like luck. And the risk of destruction can practically be nullified by putting it in a safe location until you want to use it.
However, the only way one could "repeat" a wish, however wish-"postponement" was implemented, would be to save scum (provided wish postponement was implemented properly). But savescumming already is game-breaking anyways and will invalidate your victory. Why does wish postponement have to be restricted to make it harder in this particular instance, and yet it not be made harder in general?

08-18-2012 04:11 PM
Ancient Member
I see two problems - first of all, beginners are unlikely to know about this method of wish-saving.
Perhaps wishing for "wishes" (as per the fortune cookie) could yield the same behavior as asking for a wish item in plural.

Quote Originally Posted by pipe
this feature won't be implemented and that's it. :P
I don't mean to sound rude, but in the end I think that's up to Thomas.

08-19-2012 04:34 AM
Quote Originally Posted by anon123
Perhaps wishing for "wishes" (as per the fortune cookie) could yield the same behavior as asking for a wish item in plural.
Again, it's fairly well-understood that, in the vast majority of fiction, you can't wish for more wishes. So most beginners, when faced with the chance to get a wish granted, aren't going to wish for wishes. Such wishes are most likely to be made by people who have played a fair bit and want to experiment more.

08-19-2012 10:44 AM
Ancient Member
*POOF*
"Thou hast freed me, mortal! Make your wish!"
"Ring of djinni summoning!"
... "So, you really want me to just go back in, don't you?"
"That would be swell, yes."
"You're kind of a douche, mortal."

All "uncontrolled" wish sources have a very low percentage of working out - getting a wish from a pool or wand of wonder is already an exceptionally lucky break. It doesn't need to be preservable to feel good. Yeah, you might come to regret your wish choice - but that's part of the appeal in ADOM; you don't get to reload to correct your mistakes. Wishes are powerful - but not consumer-friendly. And I think that's very much intentional on Thomas' part.

08-24-2012 05:32 PM
Doesn't the summoned Djinni strangle a monster if he has nowhere to appear and one space is occupied by a monster?

In theory a single RoDS could be wish chained into an unlimited stream of death.

Some guy tested this out, it seems, it's a few posts down:
http://www.adom.de/forums/showthread...-do-you-wish!-!

Edit: I just realized the poster was ... me, four years ago. Apparently I tested this out?? I really don't remember doing any of that... but if you take my past self's word for it... you can strangle a lot of pretty powerful beings.

08-24-2012 05:36 PM
Quote Originally Posted by LFk
Doesn't the summoned Djinni strangle a monster if he has nowhere to appear and one space is occupied by a monster?

In theory a single RoDS could be wish chained into an unlimited stream of death.
That's definitely an interesting thought.

I'd almost want to see this implemented, just to enable such a use. Especially if the djinni started to become annoyed, and decided to curse all of the PC's equipment, or something.

Not that I actually think it should happen. It's just a funny mental image.

08-24-2012 06:18 PM
Ancient Member
I did not think of djinni-strangling. That would definitely make this a game breaker if you can one-hit greater molochs by just using a ring (without getting xp, but still).

+ Reply