Uberjackal problem
issueid=12 03-07-2008 10:47 PM
Number of reported issues by Dental_floss: 6
Uberjackal problem
Monster rarity calculated on generation rate

Some very rare monsters are very commonly summoned, leading to unintended leveling. Large spiders, jackals, and Bees are very good examples. Encountering a single elven priest can lead to spiders having hundreds of hit points.
Issue Details
Issue Number 12
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Windows XP
Status Fixed
Priority 4
Affected Version Unknown
Fixed Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 7
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 18
Users unable to reproduce bug 2
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

03-10-2008 07:41 PM
Are you talking about "normal" uberjackals/uberspiders/uberwolves, i.e. the monsters that are encountered quite often and gradually gain experience (which leads to increase of hit points, damage, number of attacks) when you kill more and more of them?

If so, then I don't think that anything should be changed. You can always cast darkness, run away (especially from jackals encountered in wilderness), kill the summoner ASAP with wands or spells, change tactics to coward, wear two shileds and use music so the monsters will kill one another, use pets and companions to kill them, and so on. I personally like this feature, it makes the game harder and more interesting.

However if there is a bug that causes the spiders to have "hundreds of HP" after you kill several of them, then I agree that should be changed.

03-11-2008 01:22 AM
Ancient Member
I agree that the problem can be avoided, and think it's quite manageable as is, and I quite like that it makes the Mana Temple and D50 harder with tougher chaos warriors. However, with jackals in particular it's a big nuisance for new players who end up killing hundreds of them in the wilderness and don't understand why they get ridiculously more powerful. I think it's only with jackals that the game needs some balancing work.

03-11-2008 08:00 AM
Ancient Member
This is an unintended side effect, and should be fixed IMO. Wolves become tougher than werewolf kings and chaos servants tougher than greater CSs.

03-12-2008 10:33 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Laukku
This is an unintended side effect, and should be fixed IMO. Wolves become tougher than werewolf kings and chaos servants tougher than greater CSs.
Unintended? I thought it was implemented on purpose. I agree that it should be changed a little bit (for example i think that the experience gain curve should be more steep at the beginning, but then flatten on some level), but without this effect ADOM would be way to easy.

03-14-2008 11:44 AM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by chalup
Unintended? I thought it was implemented on purpose. I agree that it should be changed a little bit (for example i think that the experience gain curve should be more steep at the beginning, but then flatten on some level), but without this effect ADOM would be way to easy.
It was implemented on purpose but the outcome is probably too extreme for the Architect. IMHO "fixing" the issue wouldn't make the game too easy if it will be made more difficult on other aspects of gameplay.

Anyway TB hasn't commented on this yet.

03-14-2008 02:18 PM
Quote Originally Posted by chalup
As noted in the original post, this is only considered a problem in instances of rare monsters that are commonly summoned. The rate at which monsters gain experience was probably generated based on the odds of each monster randomly spawning, which did not take into account summoning.

03-14-2008 09:44 PM
Ancient Member
Heavily discussed in the original bug list: http://www.adom.de/adom/report.php3?ident=4272

03-15-2008 05:17 AM
Ancient Member
I get the impression that the original buglist has been somewhat abandoned. It became rather bloated anyway, with too much repetition, inaccuracy and minor things getting in the way of the important bugs. xhoc3's bug list arranges things very nicely should TB wish to do a minor bugfix on ADOM, and I think it's important to list the few major ones here to catch his eye.

03-15-2008 04:55 PM
Ancient Member
You are right that the buglist is bloated, but sometimes, it contains useful stuff. I just added a convenient link in case if the Creator wants to read some more discussion about what to do with this bug.

03-19-2008 07:02 PM
I find that most monsters don't gain enough exp to become troublesome unless you kill like 1000 or more of them. Jackals on the other hand become way too strong much faster. All in all something should be done about jackals but i think the rest can be left alone.

03-20-2008 05:14 PM
Ancient Member
Personally, I don't have problems with jackals as I just escape from wilderness jackals and tend to kill jackalweres quickly. However, I have very big problems with so-called "dark elven spider factories".

In my games I was able to use a musical instrument and let them kill each other, then they don't get stronger. But why should this strategy be better than slaughtering them in person?

Also, I remember a game when there were lots of bee hives. These bees were getting really tough...

03-24-2008 07:51 PM
I never knew that this would happen myself. But it certainly explains a lot...I need to stop killing those jackals it seems. I ran in to a vault room the other day full of spiders too. LOTS of spiders. And now the summoned ones have been getting harder to hit. This....explains a lot. Wow.

04-06-2008 01:26 PM
Ancient Member
Ye, this happened to me in my last game with large spiders. I didn't know about this bug and reading this explains a lot, because in the end I was killing molochs and diamond golems in 2-3 attacks but large spiders took way longer and used to hit me more than other monsters.

04-21-2008 08:01 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Nezur
It was implemented on purpose but the outcome is probably too extreme for the Architect. IMHO "fixing" the issue wouldn't make the game too easy if it will be made more difficult on other aspects of gameplay.

Anyway TB hasn't commented on this yet.
Furthermore I don't think the game was "too easy" before this feature was implemented.

04-22-2008 12:43 AM
I've seen the uberjackal effect with some really nasty monsters:

1. Quickling lords. These things become *extremely* deadly after you've killed about 100 of them, much more deadly than quickling kings.

2. bees. I grow wary of hives because after a few bee hives the bees can get to the point where they can easily kill a lvl30 char (3-5 hives).

3. worms. The small green w can get as strong as a great wyrm with different special effects (breeding vs spells). This is really nasty with alarm traps, but can also manifest itself in the standard uberjackal way as well.

I think it gets pretty nasty with chaos servants too, but they usually don't get as bad as greater chaos servants.

1 and 2 happen in the course of most normal games for me.

12-20-2008 03:28 AM
The original intent of the "fix" from v 1.0.0 to v1.1.0 was to prevent people from using "breeders" as farmed creatures, to prevent skilling. People were farming "w" or "d" to get nice, very quick weapon gains and shield gains.. then this came along, saying "the more you kill of creature "x", the tougher creature "x" gets.

This had the side-effect of making common summons, such as "w", "d" and "S" become extremely unmanageable, and makes Melee-type characters handicapped, as magic attacks don't suffer like melee attacks do in this case. It's the reason I enjoy playing 1.0.0 and not 1.1.0 more than not.. I was hoping 1.1.1 would fix this, and just reduce weapon lv. gains and skill gains without increasing monster exp lvs but.. nope, TB never touched on this issue.. I'm hoping for 1.1.2 or 1.2.x versions this will be addressed, because as it stands, melee type characters are over-classed by jackals, worms, and spiders where archers and magic users have easier times.

01-23-2009 05:32 PM
I think the uberjackal effect should be kept in the game, I like it this way. You just have to be careful who you kill

01-23-2009 07:23 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by zzo38
You just have to be careful who you kill
This is not always possible, especially with non-spellcasters, as summoners tend to summon loads of meat shields before you can get close enough or flee. And levels filled with hostile bees/ants you wouldn't want to kill does not sound appealing to me.

Besides, the resulting uber effect is more annoying than difficult in my experience. I've fought late game uber-spiders that have not managed to hurt my character considerably, but in return I couldn't hardly scratch them either, resulting in very slow and boring fights.

01-24-2009 01:33 PM
Ancient Member
Uber-ants or bees usually don't happen. Oh, they become harder to kill, but they rarely become "superheroes". I'm talking about that single red worm after having killed 200 of them that suddenly deals 100000 damage per hit. The monsters SHOULD become stronger to deter grinding behaviour, but not unfairly so.

01-24-2009 07:40 PM
One possible solution is to add a configuration setting for uber-jackal effect. You can change this setting during the game using the configuration setting entry command, however once you enter any area in the game (other than the wilderness map), it will copy the setting into the save-file and any changes to the configuration setting after that will have no effect on the current savefile, it will then only effect for new files created after that. It can be a integer, 100 for normal effect, 0 for no uberjackal effect, 50 for half effect, 200 to double the uberjackal effect, 300 to triple the effect, and so on.

+ Reply