Tell new players which R/C combos are easiest
issueid=1434 12-13-2012 02:57 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by Al-Khwarizmi: 62
Tell new players which R/C combos are easiest

This is a suggestion to make the early game easier for newbies, while not changing the game itself at all.

One of the features of ADOM that most of us like is that races and classes are deliberately not balanced, instead, some are more challenging than others. But new players have no way of knowing that, e.g., a drakeling wizard is easier than a human ranger. They can have some slight ideas (farmers look difficult, etc.) but it would be good to tell them directly.

In DCSS (or at least in some version of it), the system to do this was that when you chose your R/C combo; easy, medium and hard combos were highlighted in different colors.

Apart from that, it also had two or three specific suggestions for new players: an easy melee class, an easy caster class, and... I don't remember, maybe an easy archery class or something like that.

I think implementing one of those two things, or maybe both at the same time, would make it easier for beginners to start playing ADOM without really changing the game balance at all.
Issue Details
Issue Number 1434
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Implemented
Priority 8
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 7
Implemented Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 9
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 4
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

01-09-2013 06:52 PM
Ancient Member
You should add ratling duelists!

01-09-2013 09:08 PM
I'm inclined to say Dwarven Priest is probably easier than a Paladin, but as for a Fighter/Archer/Mage archetype selection this is one of the best, very good job

01-09-2013 09:36 PM
Paladin is *way* easier than a priest in the early game due to massive PV. (usually between 10 and 14) Ratling Duelists are incredibly powerful, but are a little difficult to start.

10-08-2015 03:08 PM
The system of colors won't work easily, as an example:
Mist Elf Chaos Knigth (Chaos Knigth get full set of armor and for mist elves all iron armor turns to mithril)
But it would be marked as purple probably because Chaos Knigths ar a melee class hard for unexperienced players and mist elves are a magic orientated race and equally hard for newbies.
What i mean is that a color system would make players experimentate less with R/C combos, choosing always green and yellow.

+ Reply