wand of lightning ball bug in p18
issueid=2516 12-02-2013 11:50 AM
Number of reported issues by Angren: 1
wand of lightning ball bug in p18

wand of lightning ball releases lightning bolt in the direction of last move (no direction choice is offered)
Issue Details
Issue Number 2516
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Creator Feedback
Priority 5 - Medium
Affected Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 18
Fixed Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 0
Users unable to reproduce bug 6
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

12-03-2013 09:31 PM
Ancient Member
You are of course correct, don't know why I was thinking that. They are crap then. My apologies Blasphemous, I was under the impression they also reduced damage. From a few years back, thought that that was what they actually were supposed to be. A trick item thus, the same as wand of ball lightning is a trick item, like many.

This makes me wonder whether the missile modifier wasn't actually meant to be a damage modifier? Mmm, now I'm really confused about the gauntlets of eternal peace, why the heck is it a crowning gift.

12-04-2013 12:51 AM
Ancient Member
You're right about it being a trick item, especially since it's autocursing. Oh well, we lived with it for many years, we will continue to complain and deal with that, I guess.

12-04-2013 02:25 AM
Ancient Member
At the point in the game where equipping gauntlets that turn out to be "of peace" is a problem, -15 is a huge penalty for most PCs, which makes you hit way less often. So in a way I guess it does reduce damage :)

Anyway, I don't equip them on wizards either. 3 early points of DV and PV are not worth surrendering the ability of meleeing mooks to save spell castings, or equipping the occasional ring I might find. I drop all unidentified gauntlets and lure monsters into equipping them to see if they glow black (it's pretty fun what that happens!).

12-04-2013 03:12 AM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Stingray1
You are of course correct, don't know why I was thinking that. They are crap then. My apologies Blasphemous, I was under the impression they also reduced damage. From a few years back, thought that that was what they actually were supposed to be. A trick item thus, the same as wand of ball lightning is a trick item, like many.

This makes me wonder whether the missile modifier wasn't actually meant to be a damage modifier? Mmm, now I'm really confused about the gauntlets of eternal peace, why the heck is it a crowning gift.
The missile modifier is correct (that's how the numbers in parentheses work on all armor). Yes it's a trick item and yes it can be useful (just like ball lightning). It would be utterly useless if it was -15 damage.

The gauntlets of eternal peace aren't bad (at least on a monk and despite my past griping). You get a great DV bonus for that point in the game (plus one-up on elemental gauntlets w/ acid, poison resist) and monks have great +to-hit, so it doesn't matter as much. Plus, the synergy w/ poison hands is amazing and TO DIE FOR: consumables are protected, but you still poison creatures. All in all, pretty situationally useful, though they'd be guaranteed use with twice as much PV or something.

12-04-2013 06:45 AM
wait, gauntlets of peace save your stuff from poison hands? I gotta remember that one.

12-04-2013 12:00 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by SirTheta
Plus, the synergy w/ poison hands is amazing and TO DIE FOR: consumables are protected, but you still poison creatures.
But you still poison food and drink when trying to consume them, right? Or was that changed?

Quote Originally Posted by Deathwind
wait, gauntlets of peace save your stuff from poison hands?
Only the artifact ones. This is probably because they grant poison resistance - one of those little things that make you go "wow, TB really thought this through".

+ Reply