'Party mode' - a suggestion for limited multiplayer (item trading)
issueid=3379 10-30-2014 04:04 PM
Number of reported issues by sylph: 26
'Party mode' - a suggestion for limited multiplayer (item trading)
Opposite of 'crowd mode' - Increased difficulty per player, but allow item trading between players

I feel crowd mode, in some ways, is a step in the wrong direction - How about we get a game mode where we are able to start a *harder* difficulty version of ADOM, but on character creation we nominate players from our steam player list as 'party members', and then allow item trading between this party?
Maybe just have a single location in each town, a 'trade area', in which items are swapped when the game is closed/saved?

I'm unsure how hard this would be to code, but it would be absolutely brilliant for bringing more players into the fold...
Issue Details
Issue Number 3379
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 3
Suggested Version ADOM r52
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone ADOM Team Play Edition
Votes for this feature 3
Votes against this feature 2
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

10-30-2014 04:31 PM
hmm. interesting concept. As far as a trade system goes, however, can't someone just drop stuff on the ground and the other pick it up? Seems a simple trade method. Though I agree with the "harder with more people" concept. Reminds me of the Diablo series, actually. Also drawing upon the Diablo games for this: More players = tougher monsters = more xp and better loots.

10-30-2014 06:02 PM
Ancient Member
This would require bi-directional client-server system with an extra database just to store information. It's a whole new level of development that I think is very far behind in the line of things that should be or have to be done first, like addressing all the bug reports, rfes etc.
Don't get me wrong, I love the suggestion but this is stepping into MMO land which might not be such a good idea.

10-30-2014 09:37 PM
I don't want to go too overboard with the social features, especially when we're still missing some of the crowdfunding stretch goals like the extra quests. Besides, roguelikes are fundamentally a single player experience.

10-31-2014 02:55 AM
Ancient Member
The server has/had this for 1.1.1. It was called "swapgame", and the trade window could be invoked by performing a specific action in the old barbarian's glade. I don't think many people used it, but an official version (with some restrictions) might be more popular.

10-31-2014 12:15 PM
A bi-directional client-server system? Really?
I was envisioning something much more simple. I'm sure there are tons of ways of implementing it that don't require a lot of work. I'm no TB when it comes to game engine design, but even I could envision a few...

For example:
[g]ive item
What is the name of the character you want to give the item to? Blasphemous.
select an item..
Murderous orcish spear removed from inventory. Item code to send blasphemous: B54s68d77d455s68ss7

[r]eceive item
Enter the code of the item you are being sent: B54s68d77d455s68ss7
Murderous orcish spear received

There would be no need of any kind of client-server architecture here. Just a code generated based on the item and the character name.
There are likely going to be far smarter ways of doing this that I aren't able to discern from my no-code-access position, but even this implementation would be golden!

+ Reply