Remove chance of highest level weapons from the small cave
issueid=3933 10-16-2015 06:45 AM
Number of reported issues by Jokke77: 2
Remove chance of highest level weapons from the small cave

I think it's bad you can find for example eternium two-handers in the small cave. They aren't actually even that rare there, maybe 1 in 15 games or so. There is actually only a low risk there at low level with melee suited classes and races. It is also a common place to start the game.

When this happens, it ruins the early-middle gameplay because you get major advantage of the item (all enemies die instantly) and all the other same slot items you find for a very long time are inferior. For me at least, a major part of the game is to constantly get better equipment. I almost want to start a new game when i find that eternium two-handed sword at level 1 to 5. Armor ain't that crucial, because there are so many slots for armor. If you find that weapon there in the begininng, you use it a very long time (of course only if it suits your class and style, so this is a bit more of a melee thing - i personally prefer twohanders and troll / orc / dwarf - assassin, barbarian, fighter etc.).

So i suggest not getting rid on all the higher level items, just limit it so that you can only find like mithril / adamantium ones, at least on halberds / two-handed swords. The gap between adamantium and eternium is huge.

Let me know what you think.
Issue Details
Issue Number 3933
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Windows 8.1
Status Suggested
Priority 10 - Lowest
Suggested Version ADOM r61
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 0
Votes against this feature 12
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

10-16-2015 07:35 AM
Ancient Member
No.

The game's addictiveness largely comes from power-spikes. It's not necessarily any better than finding an altar very early and getting crowned with a mid+ tier artifact. There aren't many things that all on its own will carry you to victory; at best, they may solve one slot for a long time. But then there's the matter of people getting careless when they have a good item; it can't make up for experience, you still have to be good at the game. And if you're good enough at the game you quite likely would have survived to mid-game anyway, great weapon or not--unless you fell afoul of the many ways to die that a weapon can't grant you immunity to. E2HS aren't even that great by the point you're broaching darkforge/TOEF, they're more of a fallback, unless you're lucky enough to get a great ego extension.

*EDIT I didn't read properly; you only want to get rid of the highest metal. I can see why you suggest it; eternium is one of the few things that are danger-level locked quite effectively, although they're still not amazing, but what about ego weapons? An iron weapon of devastation is generally better than an eternium vanilla of the same sort, except for destructability. And those can be dropped anywhere, not just the smc.

Maybe as a compromise, make it impossible for eternium weaps to have extensions in the small cave, but that might be too much 'special code' for some. (Actually it wouldn't bother me if for balance reasons eternium weapons never got extensions at all, or were locked behind very high danger walls).

10-16-2015 12:57 PM
Ancient Member
I sort of agree with auricbond but I need to add something extra.
I'm a scummer and I frequently visit smc just to get my hands on a possible eternium two-hander.
It indeed happens once in 15-20 games.
And that is perfectly fine.
Let us have it. If one game out of fifteen starts out in easy mode then so be it.
I like the chance to get this item in smc and most of the time I don't get it and then I just move on.
It's not particularly scummable, it doesn't give you resistance to paralyzation, magic bolts or missiles that can easily kill you.
If anything, it makes you go further than you should without sufficient HP or levels and perish to some traps or poison after being swarmed by summoned spiders.
It lures you into a false sense of might and invincibility.
It grants tremendous offensive advantage, true, but at the same time opens you to retaliation in that crucial early phase of the game.
Out of all the chars that started the game in smc and found the eternium 2h there, half died along the way due to lack of PV, lack of DV or overconfidence.
"Hah I got teh sword! let's melee that ogre magus in UD:7!
- let's go melee mode with my wizard!
- let's clear that jelly vault with corrosion-immune weapon!
- let's do a quicky one-hit wonder on hotzy..."

It's a fair deal, especially since by the end of the early game, many chars can manage to loot darkforge and get an eternium 2h anyway.

Hence, voting no.

10-16-2015 02:51 PM
I don't usually visit SMC early - always going for puppy and Kranach quests before it's too late. At level six SMC is really hard and I'm loosing characters which were able to save the cute dong and kill Kranach quite often. Finding eternium gear there is just fine.
Going to SMC at level 1 means that you're giving up one of these quest or at least loosing easiest possibility to make one of the best first kills (mugger / beggar) allowing both courage and Filk quest to be completed with no hastle. Hence possible eternium gear there at level one still have a price of loosing another good thing.

No from me.

+ Reply