merged extended drop and pick-up
issueid=3934 10-16-2015 07:50 AM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by auricbond: 264
merged extended drop and pick-up

An interface that shows items on self and on floor as one (ones on ground preceded by an (F) perhaps, and/or under its own submenu, or maybe this is determined by what filters are applied); allows you to tag items as destined for floor or self, and then carries out all the drops and pick-ups at once. Maybe have 'perform drops' and 'perform gets' as options for that interface so that you have to take two turns to commit both sorts of change.

Also the specifics of this idea aren't written in stone, it's more the germ of an idea, I hope it can be evolved into something workable.

*EDIT maybe arrows show where items are destined, and you apply a single 'move' command which creates a right arrow for items in inventory and left arrow for items on ground. Applying it again untoggles the move action and nothing will happen once the changes are commited. Maybe just have an asterisk on the right when the item is currently on the ground and an asterisk on the left when it's currently in inventory. Also quick hotkeys inside the menu to filter to just ground items and just inventory items (and the old extended drop and pickup keys take you to this unified menu with that prefilter on). If the item fails to move the arrow will remain, perhaps with an X in the middle. Perhaps you can also move items up and down to express priority and items that won't move due to weight issues will be greyed out in advance? Just throwing ideas at the wall, here.
Issue Details
Issue Number 3934
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 7
Suggested Version ADOM r61
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 2
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

10-16-2015 01:07 PM
Ancient Member
It would be nice if extended pickup could be applied to a particular type of items, like picking up all 1H swords or all potions.
Plus, implementing filter to work with "select all items to be dropped" option would do the job for dropping.

There aren't that many situations where you really need to drop and simultaneously pick up items on a single tile, though I suspect it depends on a playstyle to a great extent.

Still, I think this RFE once again points attention to the fact that item management needs a lot of work on top of the considerable effort already done in this department.

10-16-2015 01:32 PM
Ancient Member
This is really more in the spirit of eliminating repetition, more than meeting a specific need to do these two things off of a single menu. Although there certainly _are_ occasions where you want to do an extended reshuffle of everything between inventory and ground (air temple, bdc, quickling tree for example). Since the actions are inverse of one another I just think it makes logical sense to compress it into a single 'items' menu, I think it can be done in a way that seems elegent rather than janky and increases player efficiency.

I think also that the more one can compress functionality where there are common denominators, the fewer keys ADOM needs to use, which might make it a less intimidating game to pick up if it doesn't also lose efficiency in the process. Example: if there were enough actions to justify it you might merge clean ears and wash face to become a single 'body interactions' menu. I also think some merging ought to be done to make quick bookcasting possible. Maybe add a macro feature to make more complex action-sequences bindable to a key for advanced users.

+ Reply