Fixing Kranach Quest
issueid=4876 08-04-2017 11:00 AM
Number of reported issues by 4b5urd: 3
Fixing Kranach Quest
Kranach's RNG can be frustrating

The Kranach quest kind of sucks, but I like to do it for that extra bit of money it gives a low level PC, which is especially important to get the Detect Traps skill once you've completed Yergius' quest; I think most of you will agree that trap detection is important for all but the beefiest of beefcakes, and even then is still a convenience to avoid item destruction and such. The problem is, I've had times where I got the Kranach quest right away and then encountered the Roving Raiders before even getting to a dungeon. Then again, there are other times where I've spent days scouring the plains near Terinyo to find Kranach; once, I spent 60 days just to find him. Admittedly, probably not the best use of my PC's time, but that's not the point. For such a sensitive quest where you can't level up beyond a certain point, it can be frustrating sometimes relying on RNG to find the dumb guy. So what I would propose is adding an abandoned campsite in the plains or forest between Terinyo and the Wilderness river. Normally when the PC goes there, it's just a burnt-out fire and a couple of simple structures, but if the PC comes at a certain time, say at noon, or some time during the morning, they can find Kranach and his band of raiders there. Perhaps Tywat could say something like "I found his campsite, but he's never there when I've looked," except more fantasy-y of course. Maybe there's a sign with a picture of the full moon on it to let his bands of raiders know when to meet up. Ultimately the exact implementation would be your choice, these are just examples.
Issue Details
Issue Number 4876
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Windows 10
Status Suggested
Priority 6
Suggested Version ADOM r60
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 3
Votes against this feature 6
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

08-04-2017 12:59 PM
Ancient Member
For point 1, I find the current level of randomness fun, not burdenson.
For point 2, if you just skip the quest, by day 60 you'll be closing the gate. Why change an optional quest which only gets you ~3300 gold when even killing monsters and selling loot would get you way more $$ in far less time?

08-04-2017 02:43 PM
Well, on point one, that's just our opinions.
For point two, maybe you're right I could be closing the gate by then, but I'm not one to go for the fastest game or maximize points, I'm just playing the game the way that's fun for me, although I don't hear what you're saying about getting more gold from selling the loot, since I only get a dozen gold pieces or less per piece of sold gear unless it's Adamantium or better, and at that point in the game, I'd probably rather use it than sell it. Also, even if it is optional, that doesn't mean it shouldn't be the best it can be; another point, newer players are pretty likely to do this quest because they don't know to skip it and do "more productive" things, and the way the quest is right now, it's pretty unintuitive for new players.

08-04-2017 04:33 PM
Ancient Member
Yeah good points, but I feel the quest is fine as it is. I do the quest with my characters, but I set a personal time limit of 6 days. As for more gold from selling loot, you just need to be selective on what you carry. And you can always kill hotzenplotz for fun and profit :)

As for point 1, I feel it's not necessary for starting magic to be good mainly because a wizard will do just fine with melee and missle combat, just use the spells/wands as backup until you find more spell books.

08-04-2017 08:27 PM
First of all you need to split this up into to RFEs. How do we vote on it? Why should The Creator read a spaghetti of comments jumping from one subject to another? Well, nevermind, I'll just contribute... :)

1. Huge no. RNG makes games different. Started with quite useless spells? Take the challenge. Started with spells you can't learn or cast? Take the challenge. Started with spells making your game easy? Enjoy. Same with dungeons. You might stumble into anthill on crossing convoluted PC2 full of ants effectively forcing you to quit puppy quest or might find way downstairs in the adjacent room near, say, altar helping you to get piety, experience, get rid of nasty creatures, change alignment and identify your stuff. That's essential part of roguelike and let's not compomise it by making games more similar to each other.

2. 100%. I'd rather make them appear with higher probability at a certain locations at a certain time, e.g. next to Terinyo early morning... I do this quest for roleplay purposes and it definetly takes about three in-game weeks only to stumble upon this group. It is really such a big hassle for Terinyo if they're that hard to meet?

Not voting since I have opposite opinion for these two things.

08-05-2017 01:18 AM
I seperated the two issues as you suggested. I'm kind of new to the forums, so I thought it would be fine to put two issues together that I thought were in the same vein, that is early-game RNG. Your suggestion on Kranach would be fine by me too, I just want Kranach to be easier to meet for people trying to find him and harder to meet for people that aren't actively searching him out, and I gave suggestions based off the first ideas I thought of.

+ Reply