give monks some unarmed combat proficiency
issueid=6671 02-08-2021 06:24 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by auricbond: 264
give monks some unarmed combat proficiency

Seems to not make sense that they start at zero, given a lifetime of training in the prologue.
Issue Details
Issue Number 6671
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 6
Suggested Version ADOM 3.3.4
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 3
Votes against this feature 2
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

02-16-2021 11:51 PM
When structuring an argument for a game mechanic, try not to use phrases like 'it makes sense' or 'it doesn't make sense', since we are playing on a fictional continent in a fantasy world where not-radiation permeates through the world and wildly mutates people. Monk doesn't have to make sense when its surroundings don't from our perspective.

I would agree, though. Monk having no weapon marks seems out of character, but do remember that they also gain a separate progression table for their impressive unarmed strike table. I'm not opposed to the customary 3 levels in their favored weapon, since Monk is already a difficult start. A Monk that takes Brawler would be sitting on a +5 before stats, but Monk has a ton of penalties already in place that make me feel like this would be a minor change that would keep martial classes consistent with one another.

02-17-2021 12:04 PM
Ancient Member
I disagree. The number of marks needed to progress is what reflects a characters training. However the marks you gain are from real combat experience. Your character starts with marks in the weapon you are wielding at the time showing the experience gained in combat on the journey to ancardia. A monk starts by wielding a staff, meaning he didn’t fight unarmed on his journey.

02-18-2021 09:57 AM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Elitist
When structuring an argument for a game mechanic, try not to use phrases like 'it makes sense' or 'it doesn't make sense', since we are playing on a fictional continent in a fantasy world where not-radiation permeates through the world and wildly mutates people. Monk doesn't have to make sense when its surroundings don't from our perspective.
Your cousin scribe 'Elitist' in the very-real-and-existing Ancardian universe similarly admonishes someone for talking about actual radiation. You've gotta reference-frame centric viewpoint Mr.

It's also bollocks because it makes perfect NARRATIVE sense and CONTEXTUAL sense (as if scientific sense is the only kind) for monks to not have -1000 in the unarmed combat skill.

+ Reply