A way to handle hostile dwarves without giving up the Rolf quest
issueid=6171 04-07-2018 04:04 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by Nezur: 13
A way to handle hostile dwarves without giving up the Rolf quest

I think it's annoying and easy to accidentally kill hostile dwarves thus forfeiting access to the Rolf quest. Why isn't defending oneself allowed? Please allow the player to get rid of attacking dwarves somehow. If necessary, I believe other aspects in the fortress or in the quest should be difficult instead.
Issue Details
Issue Number 6171
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 6
Suggested Version ADOM 3.1.5
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 4
Votes against this feature 2
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

04-07-2018 06:38 PM
Ancient Member
Dwarves should be bribable! Make it cha dependent, 1 ch =1000 gold 2 ch=950 gold 3=905 4=875 etc down to 100 gold.

04-07-2018 08:03 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Blank4u47
Dwarves should be bribable! Make it cha dependent, 1 ch =1000 gold 2 ch=950 gold 3=905 4=875 etc down to 100 gold.
This would actually be cool. Maybe with some kind of multiplier for xp level, so that it's not an easy thing after finding the si?

04-07-2018 09:33 PM
Don't see how this is different from cats...

04-08-2018 03:17 AM
Yeah, we've been dealing with this for years with the cat quest. I don't think this should be changed. Although because of the flavor of bribing a dwarf with money I wouldn't mind it.

04-08-2018 05:24 AM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by ixi
You can 'bribe' cats with rat corpse or raw meat, right?

04-08-2018 10:31 AM
Right. You can also tame them with music. Teleport them away, exhange them, corrupt by traps, command companions to deal with them... Finally sometimes you can just outrun them.
None of these ways are 100% reliable or readily available to all the classes. Most of it is applicable to dwarwes as well. Corpses and raw meat tend to rot, its not something you can carry around and wait for a cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Soirana
You can 'bribe' cats with rat corpse or raw meat, right?
I support. In the spirit of dwarves. And / or with booze.

04-08-2018 11:30 AM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by ixi
Not that different, but the fact that it's similar to an existing feature doesn't make it necessarily good. I think it's enough to avoid killing cats, avoiding more types of enemy is more of the same and a bit too much IMHO.

The bribing option sounds cool, it would make this rather different from cats.

04-09-2018 02:12 PM
Dwarves are non-hostile if you are L, right?

04-09-2018 06:32 PM
Quote Originally Posted by SinsI
Dwarves are non-hostile if you are L, right?
All lawful monsters are, unless spawned inside tension rooms, vaults or other special situations.

04-10-2018 10:30 AM
Ancient Member
The difference between dwarves and cats is that the former is intelligent and can talk, the latter has neither.
I think some ability to tame hostile dwarves should be there that doesn't require the player to go out of their way to pull it off.
Gold bribing sounds thematically proper so I support that.

04-10-2018 11:17 AM
Ancient Member
I mean... they do say "have yet encountered any heaps of gold?"

04-10-2018 01:10 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Harkila
All lawful monsters are, unless spawned inside tension rooms, vaults or other special situations.
As non-hostiles to lawfuls, they also frequently get attacked by chaotic monsters, which may cause them to panic and turn hostile towards the PC.
They can subsequently pick up and use random items, like potions of invisibility and attack anything in their path of escape, like the PC.
"Oh hey another invisible stalker, I didn't know they can be generated on such a low DL level. Oh hey it dropped an iron ration... errr, shit. This isn't a ration, it's a corpse..."

Stranger things happened.

04-17-2018 07:58 AM
I like this idea - many monsters can be pacified with items (rust monsters with iron, cats with food, blink dogs with bones), so why not dwarves with gold? I'm sure some dwarves are greedy enough to accept a bribe from even the most chaotic PC - just because they are "lawful" doesn't mean that money doesn't talk. Upvoted

04-17-2018 09:40 AM
Ancient Member
Maybe bribe dwarves with gems? Well, they should like gems and gold is likely a bit too common in ADOM.

04-17-2018 10:23 AM
Gold is common, but I think the only real time you'll be utlizing this will be in the early-game where gold is sparse... mid-game you should be able to neutralize them in a non-lethal way if going for the Rolf quest. If pacifying a dwarf is ~1000 gold that could be a difficult choice to make in the early game.

I like the gems idea too though - they don't have much use otherwise.

04-19-2018 12:03 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Soirana
Maybe bribe dwarves with gems? Well, they should like gems and gold is likely a bit too common in ADOM.
I like the idea much more since gold unlike gems stops becoming a problem in mid-game.

What about making them even more frustrated if given pieces of glass? :)

+ Reply