Improve white necromancy
issueid=1716 01-10-2013 11:24 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by Grey: 58
Improve white necromancy
Reduce mana costs dramatically and add some top tier powerful monsters

White necromancy is immensely expensive for pretty weak monsters right now. Current list:

Homunculus - 2 Ma
Clay statue - 4 Ma
Stone statue - 6 Ma
Clay golem - 10 Ma
Stone golem - 16 Ma

None of these are worth their cost considering their power, even though the Ma drain is temporary. In my experience the higher Ma drains are not so temporary, with only partial recovery expected. Suggested change:

Homunculus - free, it costs clay already and is extremely weak
Clay statue - 1 Ma
Clay golem - 2 Ma
Stone statue - 3 Ma, these are better than clay golems! Fire resist, multiple attacks, higher DV
Stone golem - 4 Ma, but they could do with a damage boost to be worth the higher mana

I'd also suggest higher end monsters. Earth elemental for 8 Ma and Greater earth elemental for 16 Ma would be appropriate. High cost, but for a worthy slave. If these aren't considered appropriate then new powerful constructs could be introduced - clay giant and clay titan for instance.
Issue Details
Issue Number 1716
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 7
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 9
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 15
Votes against this feature 2
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

01-10-2013 11:43 PM
Ancient Member
oddly, my homunculus I created in ToEF was not harmed by the fire there.

01-11-2013 02:19 AM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Mobius
oddly, my homunculus I created in ToEF was not harmed by the fire there.
Summons are not harmed by the ToEF fire except (possibly) on the top level.

01-18-2013 12:47 PM
Absolutely agree with everything Grey has proposed. Being stuck with homunculi for such a long time and having Mana drained for them just doesn't feel right.

02-14-2013 11:30 PM
I agree with the spirit of the suggestion, however, for the implementation, I would suggest a cost of 1 Ma for the homunculus and 2 Ma for the clay statue. The first point of Ma is recovered reasonably quickly, especially at low levels.

07-31-2014 11:32 PM
I have to say I agree to this issue as well. On trying the newest release out, I was eager to get to grips with the new Mist Elf Necromantic powers, but considering that the power costs clay and uses it up with a reasonable failure rate anyway, having to also spend points of Mana in order to create reasonably weak creatures seems entirely unbalanced towards the weak side.

In comparison, Necromancy allows for the raising of a ghul with 1 point of Mana, a faster creature than the homonculous that also causes paralysis with melee attack and regenerates itself.

I wouild say that the costs for White Necromancy should be at maximum equal to those of normal Necromancy, starting from 1Ma with the Clay Statue to match the Ghul and with the first four levels (Clay Clay Stone Stone) costing 1, 2, 4, 8 respectively. Perhaps keeping homonculi as a skeleton/zombie equivalent (always costs 1Ma to raise, available to non-Necromancer classes, and possibly also to non-Mist Elves?) and adding a couple of more powerful levels to finish out the necromantic power.

08-01-2014 08:22 AM
I think all of that should be exclusive to non-chaotic necromancers.
For those that just dabble in necromancy, existing cost is just fine; furthermore, even limiting the selection a bit might be a good idea - AFAIK, normal non-necromancers can only raise random weakest undead, so making the Golems extremely expensive or even impossible to create for them should be pretty fair.
And homunculi are quite strong, easily comparable to ghuls with their Sleep attack. And I would probably reverse cost for Stone/Clay golems, as special ability to Slow is better than simple raw stats and no special ability.

+ Reply