reduce gender bias in shops
issueid=3626 03-11-2015 06:04 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by auricbond: 264
reduce gender bias in shops

Unless I misunderstand the current workings, right now if you're female shops entirely depend on the appearance stat for determining price, and if male, it's all on charisma.

I think the bias should be more 'true to life'. That's not to say that a lot of men aren't wooed by a pretty face (and all shopkeepers are men in adom, for some reason), but I don't think charisma is without it's umm... charm, either, even if you're female. Similarly a really good looking man might make a slight difference. So I propose that it use 80% ch, 20% ap for males, and 30% ch, 70% ap for females (as an example, it needn't be those exact numbers).

Or maybe the ratio could depend on a new stat called 'su' (superficiality) for the shopkeepers (j/k).
Issue Details
Issue Number 3626
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 5 - Medium
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 23
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 9
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

10-12-2015 10:38 PM
This is okay, though I don't think this is the ultimate fix shop prices need (haggling buff, please). It makes it possible to attempt to buy things with the two races with pretty hate gimmicks (GE and ME respectively). One point of strength in exchange for drastically inflated shop prices stink, I don't care what anyone says, there are four guaranteed shops in ADOM, I'd like to utilize whatever I'm given, and I just can't if my shop prices are outrageous. It stinks.

10-13-2015 02:18 AM
I feel like shops are one of those situations where there are a ton of things you could do to tweak how prices were determined that would be a lot better than the current setup.

I really don't understand why nothing is ever done to balance the game in any way. I know that we get entirely new features sometimes (like the ice queen domain), but I would much rather have had things like this fixed first. It seems kind of like redecorating your house when the foundation is crumbling.

10-13-2015 06:41 AM
If there were one thing fixed about shops, it should be limiting the amount of gold you can get from them by selling items. The buying price is much less of an issue, although Auricbond's suggestion is certainly nice.

10-17-2015 03:56 PM
Decent idea, but very much priority 10.

10-17-2015 04:37 PM
Ancient Member
I should add that lately when playing males, i've seen no difference in shop prices in charisma jumps as much as 8 or so. Kind of lame, hope it's working correctly.

11-18-2015 12:50 AM
I'm voting for this. Charisma and Appearance should both apply. If a gender imbalance is desired by game team, perhaps Appearance could be more heavily WEIGHTED for female characters (which still keeps the Frog Quest relevant), but honestly I'd like to see this being evened out. It's just a shame to lose even a small part of ADOM's beautiful variety.

11-18-2015 08:01 AM
Ancient Member
Why not add female shopkeepers and make Ap affect interactions with shopkeepers of the opposite sex and Ch with those of the same sex, regardless of what it is?

11-18-2015 02:00 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Al-Khwarizmi
Why not add female shopkeepers and make Ap affect interactions with shopkeepers of the opposite sex and Ch with those of the same sex, regardless of what it is?
If you do that, I think the occasional shopkeeper should care about Ap on the same sex.

11-18-2015 02:08 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Harwin
If you do that, I think the occasional shopkeeper should care about Ap on the same sex.
Or both. Or not care at all, because asexuality or disinterest. :)
I like this idea. It's added complexity, but then again ADOM is all about complexity and believability anyway. Just a matter of implementation.

11-18-2015 08:14 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Kelibath
Or both. Or not care at all, because asexuality or disinterest. :)
I like this idea. It's added complexity, but then again ADOM is all about complexity and believability anyway. Just a matter of implementation.
Well, ADOM never pretended to be simple. Why not, that would be more realistic than now and fun.

11-18-2015 08:59 PM
As it stands, shopkeeper treatment is the biggest practical difference when playing different genders. St/Dx variation is mostly inconsequential and frog quest is even less so. If shopkeeper "preferences" are random this difference will disappear.

01-14-2016 03:30 AM
I think gender bias should be dependent on the relative gender, and not absolute gender (so female shopkeepers give discounts to handsome men while male shopkeepers give discounts to beautiful women). Since all 3 fixed shopkeepers are male it still gives the same result with them, but "the other" stat would no longer become largely irrelevant.

+ Reply