energy cost of waiting should be same as walking
issueid=3648 03-11-2015 07:24 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by auricbond: 264
energy cost of waiting should be same as walking

At least, I think so. YMMV.

It seems more intuitive to me that it behave that way, but it also robs the game of a slight, if very 'gamey' element of strategy, where I waggle side-to-side as enemies approach (to take advantage of slb/stilts/long stride) to eat as little energy as possible and maybe land an extra hit without penalty. But in the end, that's weird behaviour, and simply waiting on a square should do the same thing...
Issue Details
Issue Number 3648
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 6
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 23
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 12
Votes against this feature 3
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

01-26-2016 02:01 PM
What if you have the corrupt that increases your walk time?

Maybe it should work not in terms of energy, but consume "1 action" time - just enough energy for every other monster on the level to make a single move (or for the fastest monster to just reach his second move, whichever comes first)?
That would prevent monsters like quicklings from "hit-and-running" you, and allow you to effectively pose at least some fight if your speed has been lowered greatly.

01-26-2016 06:07 PM
I would like this because of the times I missed the stone circle before figuring it out.

01-27-2016 01:08 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by SinsI
What if you have the corrupt that increases your walk time?

Maybe it should work not in terms of energy, but consume "1 action" time - just enough energy for every other monster on the level to make a single move (or for the fastest monster to just reach his second move, whichever comes first)?
That would prevent monsters like quicklings from "hit-and-running" you, and allow you to effectively pose at least some fight if your speed has been lowered greatly.
I think quicklings should still be able to hit and run you. Your reactions aren't fast enough to be able to interrupt their movement.

Perhaps don't make it "the same as walk" but pick the lower of the following 2 energy costs:
1) My previous action
2) 1000

Using "my previous action" means we don't have to have the game calculate all the possible things you could have done and find the lowest score (melee? missile? spell? walk? coward walk?)

01-27-2016 03:15 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Harwin
I think quicklings should still be able to hit and run you. Your reactions aren't fast enough to be able to interrupt their movement.
They would still be able to do that if you do something else (like attacking another monster), since they have several actions to your one. But if you've readied yourself and are waiting for them, you should be able to hit them back first. Whether or not your reactions are "fast enough" would be determined by your To-Hit bonus.

02-10-2016 04:13 PM
I'm not sure it would make sense... For instance if you're wearing seven league boots, it seems logical to me they would only take effect when actually walking, as boots will not make standing still take less energy.

02-10-2016 05:40 PM
Quote Originally Posted by mjz15
I'm not sure it would make sense... For instance if you're wearing seven league boots, it seems logical to me they would only take effect when actually walking, as boots will not make standing still take less energy.
I don't think that matters. Waiting is not an action. Waiting is a period of inaction. You can take a period of inaction equal to taking a step with or without your magic boots on.

It's rather silly that it's better to sidestep than it is to stand still when you're trying to react to another person.

02-11-2016 09:21 AM
Quote Originally Posted by shockeroo
I don't think that matters. Waiting is not an action. Waiting is a period of inaction. You can take a period of inaction equal to taking a step with or without your magic boots on.

It's rather silly that it's better to sidestep than it is to stand still when you're trying to react to another person.
I agree it feels a bit silly to side-step instead of just waiting. But I don't see why a period of inaction would be quicker with slb than without slb. Unless of course you want the boots to increase your speed, rather than decrease energy cost. That would however take away the slb benefits of traveling through wilderness.
Tricky matter.

02-11-2016 04:35 PM
Ancient Member
I think making waiting take the same amount of time as your base walking time makes sense.

02-11-2016 05:11 PM
Quote Originally Posted by mjz15
But I don't see why a period of inaction would be quicker with slb than without slb.
I think you missed my point. You don't 'speed up waiting', you just wait less. The energy cost of wait is somewhat arbitrary in this regard, but if we consider wait to mean 'don't take a step' then it makes perfect sense.

+ Reply