Ways to perceive the invisible
issueid=68 07-26-2008 07:35 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by Nezur: 13
Ways to perceive the invisible
Some potential ways of detecting the invisible

Thanks to Grey and Silfir for some ideas in the Stealth Improvements feature thread.

Beings that do not rely on visible light for perception should be able to sense invisible monsters. The monsters that "see" invisible should be the undead, snakes and bats to name but a few. Since the undead perceive the environment through magical ways seeing the invisible should't be a problem for them. Bats are able to "see" through echo-sounding. Many real world snakes are able to sense infra-red radiation (heat) although they have a hard time spotting beings that stay still that way.

Monsters that don't see the invisible should behave differently when something invisible is present. Ordinary and weak beings like animals, lesser humanoids and common people could have a chance to panic when attacked. Beings with high perception like animals might be able to smell or hear the invisible (like many animals or PCs with very high Pe) and get suspicious. Intelligent monsters like many humanoids could actually be able to find out about enemies that are invisible by hearing/seeing their footsteps/footprints for instance and then alert nearby beings (that understand their tongue or gesture language) and start searching for the invisible creatures by swinging the air.

Since invisibility only eliminates the chance of being spotted by eyesight the presence of invisible monsters should be hinted at by displaying certain messages to a perceptive enough PC. For instance:

"Suddenly footprints appear on the ground!"
"You hear footsteps nearby from north."
"The scalpel of devastation on the ground takes wing and suddenly disappears!" (An item was picked up by something invisible)
"You scent the presence of a humanoid."

The invisible can be detected this way only in certain environments. If the ground is too soft you can't hear footsteps or if it's too hard you aren't able to notice footprints. Of course beings wearing "see invisible" stuff would also be able to perceive the invisible. There might even be a spell like "Truevision" which reveals invisible monsters.

Some magical and "antimage" monsters might even be able to immediately detect all invisible monsters on the current level (think of Ringwraiths in LotR).
Issue Details
Issue Number 68
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM II (formerly known as JADE)
Category Unknown
Status Suggested
Priority Unknown
Suggested Version Unknown
Implemented Version (none)
Votes for this feature 14
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

11-28-2008 07:11 PM
This idea simply is so brilliant, I have no doubt about that it will be implemented if only someone gets to it.
Being able to see footprints and notice things disappearing are both classical ways of detecting invisible things.

03-22-2009 02:06 PM
Ancient Member
I agree with this idea 100%. Also, as I mentioned in the Lighting thread, if an area is pitch black(not just dark, but complete blackness) nothing should be able to see, not even orcs/dark elves, but creatures could still detect via sound and such. Creatures such as snakes or bats would be completely unaffected by this darkness though.

As far as invisible things goes, I think that once you detect an invisible creature, either from it attacking you or whatever, a special symbol appears to indicate that creature. If you have poor perception it will disappear the next turn, indicating you lost it. If you have high Alertness, Perception and possibly Listening however, you will continue to see the symbol. You wouldn't be able to tell exactly what monster it is, but you will know a monster is there.

07-06-2009 12:51 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by RndmNumGenerator
As far as invisible things goes, I think that once you detect an invisible creature, either from it attacking you or whatever, a special symbol appears to indicate that creature. If you have poor perception it will disappear the next turn, indicating you lost it. If you have high Alertness, Perception and possibly Listening however, you will continue to see the symbol. You wouldn't be able to tell exactly what monster it is, but you will know a monster is there.
I support this. This makes sensing invisible creatures much more realistic and interesting. NetHack has a system almost identical to this. IMO the symbol for a detected invisible creature should be a grey ? sign - or any other colour except white..

More ideas: I think that this should work the other way, too: Monsters would gain/lose track of invisible PCs (except that a symbol will not be drawn, of course :P). If one has poor perception, there should be a chance to not detect the location of the creature. Lower chance to detect from a distance, like when someone shoots a missile or a spell at the opposite end of the room.

07-17-2009 09:57 PM
I like this idea.

09-15-2009 03:32 PM
Ancient Member
Another way to notice invisibles: When a monster suddenly starts fighting with (or is attacked by, or otherwise interacts with) thin air.

09-24-2009 04:18 AM
Ancient Member
Does this mean we have to implement a Smelling skill so you can notice those invisible ogre magi easier?

"A wafting stench of armpit odor and poor oral hygiene is carried by a gentle breeze from the north."

What happens if you are in a room with shifting breeze special message? Do you get improper scent directions?

What about in skewed perception rooms? Do you notice the footsteps on your right instead of your left?

03-20-2012 04:09 PM
Ancient Member
I'll bump this now that invisibility and darkness have been implemented (though invisibility doesn't seem to do anything in 0.2.3).

The same code for gaining and losing track of unseen beings should be applied also for blindess and darkness.

+ Reply