Starvation-Popup
issueid=6246 05-18-2018 04:15 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by GordonOverkill: 9
Starvation-Popup
As soon as carrying capacity gets too high, starvation is the most dangerous thread to my chars ;)

Just played a run to get back into the game after a longer break and did pretty well untill my char (level 21) finally managed to solve my carrying capacity issues. Short time later he starved to death on COC level 5 while ascending to darkforge.

I suggest to implement some kind of popup message before the char starves to death, simply because I think that a character should be extremely aware of the torturing hunger that he feels at that point... and well, for me as a player this kind of death is extremely frustrating ;) It's no problem while the strength is still low by the way, just because you lose the ability to move when the hunger drains your stats.
Issue Details
Issue Number 6246
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Implemented
Priority 3
Suggested Version ADOM 3.1.5
Implemented Version ADOM 3.3.0
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 1
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

05-18-2018 05:55 PM
Ancient Member
Code:
:replace
:red
You are starving.|You are starving. You are starving! You are STARVING!! You ARE STARVING!!! YOU ARE STARVING!!!! YOU ARE *STARVING*!!!!! YOU *ARE* *STARVING*!!!!!! *YOU* *ARE* *STARVING*!!!!!!!
;-)

05-18-2018 06:23 PM
Ancient Member
In the bottom left corner of the interface! Requires superhuman skill level to keep an eye on that while talking a relaxed walk back to the surface ;)

05-18-2018 06:34 PM
Ancient Member
Ah, a tiles player. In that case you can try increasing the size of warning_starving.png. ;-)

05-18-2018 06:47 PM
Don't you get a "more" prompt and a sound effect? If not, set starvation_warning = true in adom.cfg

05-18-2018 08:35 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Grond
Ah, a tiles player. In that case you can try increasing the size of warning_starving.png. ;-)

Actually I prefere ASCII, but I am preparing for a new youtube series and the guys n girls enjoy tiles a bit more ;)
The increased size warning sign is amazing! I have to figure out how this overwhelming life-saver works :D

05-21-2018 05:45 AM
Heyyy, It's Gordon Overkill. :D I've been missing your videos, so it's good to have you back.

06-25-2018 03:50 PM
I agree with the idea of a popup (that you have to respond to one of the prompt options), or having a big warning as the default setting in NotEye. I used to play in ASCII and you basically can't fail to notice starvation....but in tiles, it's surprisingly subtle with the default settings. I had a character (carrying plenty of food!) starve to death in the wilderness shortly after I picked ADOM back up, just because I was clicking arrows quickly because I knew where I was walking to.

09-10-2018 01:28 PM
The Creator
Starting with ADOM 3.3.0 the tiles version now displays floating texts over the head of the PC to indicate starvation. This is extremely helpful and effective.

+ Reply