msdos binary crashes during initialization
issueid=6252 05-27-2018 05:04 PM
Number of reported issues by Esoteric Rogue: 11
msdos binary crashes during initialization
adom is broken on DOSBox 0.74

I checked both the direct download and the torrent files named adom_msdos_3.0.6.zip
_____
On DOSBox 0.74, there is a Fatal error:
"Unable to allocate ycache[222]."

[PRESS ENTER TO CONTINUE]
_____

it will not continue to startup.

Issue Details
Issue Number 6252
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category MS-DOS
Status Not a Bug
Priority 5 - Medium
Affected Version ADOM 3.0.6
Fixed Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 0
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

06-08-2018 08:18 AM
Administrator
I can't reproduce this effect on macOS. Please enter the command "mem" and provide the output. My DOSBox seems to have 16 MB RAM available, which should be enough.

06-08-2018 08:42 AM

I'm on Windows 10. I'll reinstall DOSBox shortly, but I have no other reason to suspect any problem.

06-08-2018 09:01 AM
I reinsalled dosbox and have the same err. Hitting some interrupt did give a dump, I'll attach the adom.err

06-08-2018 09:06 AM
Administrator
I just installed DOSBox on my Windows 10 PC (no previous DOSBox installation) and ADOM starts fine. Sorry, I have no idea what's going on.

The message "Unable to allocate" means there is not enough RAM available for ADOM. But your screenshot shows the same settings as I have on my DOSBox.

Did you download ADOM again to make sure the installation isn't corrupted for some reason?

06-08-2018 09:38 AM
I did figure it out, in general.

ADOM gives that error if I don't run it on my C: drive, the same drive where my OS and DOSBox is installed.
I had been trying to run it on my D and E drives.

It does run fine from my C drive, so thank you for your assistance, jt. I have no idea if we'd want to pursue it further.

06-08-2018 09:41 AM
Administrator
Which directory structure did you start ADOM from?

06-08-2018 09:57 AM
with adom.exe in E:\ADOM
I would typically do DOSBox's

Z:\> mount e e:\adom
Z:\> e:\
E:\> adom

which fail to launch

06-08-2018 10:26 AM
Administrator
Ok, this doesn't work for me too.

There is a message visible for a short time before ADOM starts:

So I guess you also need to mount the C drive in order for CWSDPMI to create it's swap file. You can modify the location of the swap file with CWSPARAM.EXE, it seems, see the documentation at: ftp://ftp.dante.de/tex-archive/obsol...IN/CWSDPMI.DOC

06-08-2018 10:38 AM
Ah, yes, one option is:

Z:\> mount c e:\adom
Z:\> c:
C:\> adom

and it will work. Doesn't matter where the physical drive is, it just needs the virtual drive to be C by default.

06-08-2018 10:43 AM
Administrator
Yes, or maybe mount both C and E to the same directory. I'm glad it works now! :)

+ Reply