Name generator
issueid=1196 08-23-2012 10:02 AM
Number of reported issues by yorak: 2
Name generator
A per-race name generator for us lazy and unimaginative people

A per-race name generator would be a nice addition. In Dwarf Fortess advendure mode it is quite fun to randomly generate names until you find one that that hits the sweet spot being funny and/or serious enough. Name generation has also the nice side effect of bringing the world of ADOM more alive. Imagine playing the halfling bard Grodo Sackkings who has no idea where the road will lead him into.
Issue Details
Issue Number 1196
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Other (please specify)
Status Rejected
Priority Unknown
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 2
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 2
Votes against this feature 1
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

08-23-2012 05:28 PM
Ancient Member
I'd like this. I tend to give my PCs the same name over and over, or just none at all (one dash), because I'm not too creative :P

08-23-2012 09:41 PM
You mean increasing the number of names for Allow_Default_Names in the .cfg?

08-25-2012 09:01 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Kyreles
You mean increasing the number of names for Allow_Default_Names in the .cfg?
No, I mean actual name generator that will generate race specific random names using word and syllable lists defined by the Creator. A perfect way of capturing designer intent into the names and therefore to the mood/atmosphere of the game (at least IMO).

08-26-2012 03:13 AM
Ancient Member
Whilst it would be nice I have to say what you're asking for is far from trivial. There are many examples around, but none are that good from what I've seen. Plus you'd need appropriate seed lists of names for every single race, and doubled for both genders - that's huge! All for a little feature that most players will never see.

08-26-2012 04:18 AM
An obvious idea would be for the community (that is, those who would like such a generator) to create a name generator external to the game - if it works well, offer it to the Creator to add into the game. If he doesn't like it, then it can always still work as an external name generator. And if the generator just doesn't work well, then clearly it's not worth it.

Should it be made, a few thoughts: Humans should have some standard names, and then have some chance of actually having names that are taken from the entire range of possibilities (because humans often like using foreign or strange names). Syllables found in names of gods should be fairly common in each naming system, but it shouldn't ever actually use the gods' names (with the orc case being an exception, of course - syllables in the orcish gods' names don't really suit). Classes should skew the likely syllables within names (for flavour), as should character traits (like hair colour, for instance). Character history could also influence the chances of various syllables, although that would only really work if incorporated into the game.

12-11-2012 11:36 AM
The Creator
I like Aielyns suggestion. Post a new RFE once someone comes up with such a generator :-)

+ Reply