Managing time, quests, and life span of PCs and NPCs
issueid=40 03-25-2008 02:34 PM
Number of reported issues by hrothgar: 4
Managing time, quests, and life span of PCs and NPCs
this hopes to be an answer to a problem proposed by the creator of Adom. May it be useful.

Hello everybody, greetings. Id like to say I love Adom, but I think that Jade can be better in several ways.
I think that I can provide some usefull ideas about this new problem of aging and dying of Npcs. I personally prefer to choose the succesor system with a few modifications. For example: when sombedy dies in the game (an Npc playing some kind of role, because if its just a nameless farmer who?s not giving quests nor special dialog, there?s just no way that the player keeps track of him or his life span), a succesor should appear. Someone with a random name, but tagged by the game internally as "son/daughter of X"; sometimes the succesor will choose to pay the debt of his father or mother, and this choice would be determined on his "honour" or "social prestige". This "prestige" may be determined by te social rank of the quest giver. For example:
a simple farmer gives a quest. Time goes by and the player only reaches the farmer after his death. But the farmer had a son, who takes his place in work. As the farmer?s "honour" (or prestige) is very low, there?s only a small chance that he will pay his father?s debt (10%?). On the other hand a blacksmith succesor will have a hihger chance of paying (30%?), a shopkeeper?s son 25%, the king?s son himself about 95%.
This is not all: this system can be improved. Because sometimes the succesor in certain works is not son/daughter of the previous one. When this happens rewards will be completely neglected. For example: a shopkeeper will probably be succeded by his son (70% chance?), a farmer too (90% chance?). But on the other hand someone like a priest will only have a 15% chance (for example) of being replaced by his son (or daughter). A king can die without children, and be succeded by somedy else? some random individual, who might or not have been implied in a plot to replace him (small chance of this? lets say 1% every year? or higher?). This new person wont pay any previous debt.
A random example: a smithy gives a quest. The player fulfils it, but during his return trip the smithy dies and is replaced by somebody else, not from his family (lets say 70% chance of being succeded by a son, so only a 30% chance of this happening) . This person will claim to have no relationship with the previous blacksmith and deny to pay anything.
Another example, the priest gives a quest and dies. He is succeded by his daughter (15% chance of this happening), but as priests have a high "prestige" (or "honour", tag it as you prefer), there?s a 80% chance of receiving the reward from her (she?ll say something like "i reward thee in memory of my beloved father"? etc).
It is also possible to improve this system, but optional, because it might get nasty. The program could handle first names and last names, and the last name only being showed when choosing the option of "more information" on the "look" command. right there there could be a description "this is Rodolph Nash the shopkeeper, son of Gutrich Nash, previous owner of the shop". Up to this point is pretty easy to implement and using, because it can be generalised easily. But if even more realism is searched for, child characters in the game should
have their names since the beggining... but this is the nasty part, because every character would have a unique name and identity... personally I would avoid this particular level of realism. Childs should be nameless, except those of royalty. The prince should have a name and a description. But a farmer giving a quest, and succeded by his son, should?nt get a special name because of it, it is just sufficient to have the game tag him internally as "previous quest giver succesor" (remember that there?s a 90% chance that farmers are succeded by their sons, and a 10% chance that this son/daughter will pay the debt). This makes everything easier.
Besides this I have another idea that could prove helpful. It?s about the quest assignment itself. I came up with a handy formula that may help to assign quests in an intelligent way.
The program itself could be able to assign quests that are able to be completed within both the player character and the Npc?s life span (anyways, sometimes the game may just simply ignore this).
It?s like his: X ≤ (1/2).c.V.T
where X represents the distance to the quest spot, V is the distance walked every time the player moves one square divided the time spent (it?s the speed), T is either the Pc?s remaing life span or the npc?s remaining life span, whichever is the lower. the number 1/2 is there because the distance has to be walked twice, and the letter "c" is just any number the programmer chooses.
However, this formula does NOT assign the place of the quest. It only makes it harder or impossible to be so far away that the player can?t get there and come back. If the player doesnt make it its his own fault. Anyways, it should be "possible to get impossible quests" if you get what i mean, but only with a small chance of it to happen.
Quests giving artifacts or other "key items" should implement a parallel system sometimes, so they don?t disappear. This is easily solved using the succesor implementation.
And i want to add something else. "V" is either a variable or a constant, but the game might not consider the speed as a constant number on every square of the map, so this might make it a variable for most cases... this would apparently complicate things, but there?s a solution: the "V" letter should be just the average speed, considering all kinds of terrain. Besides let?s not forget that this would give some randomness to the world of jade that would be very nice. Sometimes quests "could" be impossible. This impossibility might come from more precise preconception, however. The "c" number is there so the programer may replace it for anything he prefers, be it a constant or a variable.
So long everyone
Issue Details
Issue Number 40
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM II (formerly known as JADE)
Category Unknown
Status Suggested
Priority 4
Suggested Version Unknown
Implemented Version (none)
Votes for this feature 1
Votes against this feature 2
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

03-25-2008 06:25 PM
IMHO, life spans of NPCs are of low importance. How many times does a quest take so much time that it covers a whole lifespan? One of a hundred? Most adventurers die young... What is the possibility that the player realizes that? Its just too much work for a feature, that just changes the name of the questgiver (or denies the reward).

03-25-2008 07:09 PM
The whole point of this is that Thomas Biskup proposed the problem of questgivers Npcs dying, and the fact that they could have succesors, to maintain the structure of the game, and keep that structure realistic. All this because the world of Jade is going to be huge, and questgivers Npcs may be generated randomly, with the natural consecuence that some of them may be very old when asigning a quest, and be already dead when you reach them back. Besides, you can play a long lived character, and spend many years within the game... what happens to the Npcs then?: well, an answer to this problem is my very suggestion.
I have to hurry... im short of time.. well, greetings everyone

03-26-2008 12:06 AM
Did you see the JADE video? There are many many dungeons and the world is huge! TB spent many days (game time) just walking around in the wilderness. Even longer if he was to stop and enter each dungeon, town, etc. So I agree that the lifespan of NPCs will become a minor problem of continuity for some PCs.

I'll try to sum up hrothgar's post more concisely. Two possible solutions were suggested:

(a) An edited version of TB's band-aid solution, that is renaming the NPC and calling them a successor, except this time with some probability of not creating a successor.

(b) The second idea ensures that there is enough time for the PC to complete the quest within the lifespans of both the PC and the quest-giver.

Personally, I feel a mixture of solutions would work best, different solutions for different NPCs.

03-26-2008 01:10 AM
Ancient Member
I've said it before and I'll say it again - a successor who is identical to the original is utterly redundant. The idea of having a successor is an alternative to immortal NPCs, but both are as unrealistic as each other. Some of the ideas here would help alleviate the redundancy of successors, but I must say they don't stop the unrealistic idea of getting a quest reward years after you were asked to slay a certain beast or whatever. It's ridiculous that they would wait till the day they die for you to complete their quest.

Here's another idea: the majority of quests should have time limits that are within the life span of the NPC, with a maximum of around a year (varies depending on the quest situation). Your quest list will say "Meris, the old hag in Felmoine has asked you to retrieve her amulet by the 361st day of 6974AC (27th of Tree)", and the quest list page will list quests in the order of which ends soonest. Only quests with rewards that are somehow key to the overarcing story should be without limit and have some workaround for NPC death (either through a successor or immortal quest-giver).

And it's important to remember that's it's a game, and too much realism can actually be a bad thing. The problem of NPC aging is extremely hard to code around with all sorts of huge dilemnas that can crop up. All this for very little, if any, gameplay reward (the only reward would be extra game immersion, which duplicate successors doesn't help at all with).

03-26-2008 03:25 PM
I like Greys idea, and i wont try to defend mine mindlesly. I think its a good proposal getting intelligent time limits for quests in a more sensible period of time. Thats the kind of view that should prosper. Anyways, i dont believe that the succesor solution is already overcome. I think that both projects should work together, with the succesor
option only in a secondary position: it IS more realistic to get Npcs succeded after a life span is already wasted, and not having them forever in the generated world. However, i agree with Grey in this: quests should get time caps in a more sensible term. A quest for saving a girl who is lost in the forest cant take two years... or three, whatsoever. But it is sensible to get an Npc replaced when he reaches his top age AND having distance controlled is still a subject: That girl cant be a year or two in distance. If the quest has a year cap, the girl should still be near enough (not the best example). The whole point of this is that everything needs to be generalised, because unlike Adoms, Jades world is supposed to be absolutely random...
when generating quests the program will have to assign a place, and a distance. This distance cannot be absolutely random (the place might, but not the distance).
ok, the problem has been proposed

+ Reply