Accidental shoplifting
issueid=4052 11-20-2015 07:16 PM
Number of reported issues by Kelibath: 25
Accidental shoplifting

From the Steam forums:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/333300...8265881228671/

I think there are discussions about that, but here it goes. Being raised with NH I'm used to be careful around shop keeper, but the last time, a ratiling warrior poped at my face at the exit of a shop in D4(or so) and disarmed me (Rolf Companions fell on the shop's floor). I picked up the axe, and nothing happened until I left the shop (the shopkeeper didn't block the exist). But as soon as I was out I got some shoplifting achievement (without violence or something) and I got attacked by the shopkeeper and bouncers. I attacked him and got cursed, realized that I wasn't strong enough, and teleported away.

Except when an item is dropped by the player and actually sold, there should not be a "everything that touch the floor is mine" rule imho.

As far as I can tell, this is a bug. Shops shouldn't automatically receive ownership of a player's weapon on disarm, just as they don't suddenly own items dropped by a monster killed within the boundaries of the shop. The only place that does is underwater. The shopkeeper not moving to block the exit also makes both the achievement and sudden response suspect - if the OP had simply forgotten a different item I'm surprised the shopkeeper let them leave.
Issue Details
Issue Number 4052
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Unconfirmed
Priority 5 - Medium
Affected Version ADOM r62 (v2.0.1)
Fixed Version (none)
Milestone Potential work pipeline
Users able to reproduce bug 2
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

11-20-2015 08:38 PM
I like this feature, but it could be a bug that the shopkeeper didn't block the door.

He mentions the shop was on D4 so I wonder if there are some oddities perhaps that the weapon fell in, say, a potion shop (he doesn't say what kind of shop) and it might have conflicting states of owned by the shopkeeper, but unable to be bought/sold by the shopkeeper.

11-20-2015 09:05 PM
Ancient Member
Shopkeepers are sometimes slow to block the door - one could be faster than them, especially with seven league boots.

However I think the disarmed weapon being claimed by the shopkeeper is probably buggy behaviour. It's one of those things we've gotten used to for years without thinking about it, like Khelevaster being invisible.

11-20-2015 09:46 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Grey
Shopkeepers are sometimes slow to block the door - one could be faster than them, especially with seven league boots.

However I think the disarmed weapon being claimed by the shopkeeper is probably buggy behaviour. It's one of those things we've gotten used to for years without thinking about it, like Khelevaster being invisible.
Isn't there a specific message that occurs when this happens?

11-20-2015 11:07 PM
Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer
Isn't there a specific message that occurs when this happens?
The OP didn't record one (and I've left a link on their thread to this RFE, just in case), but it's not completely impossible. Still very strange behaviour.

11-21-2015 12:11 AM
Just had an opportunity to check: the message is 'Leggot, the trollish shopkeeper, hollers: "Thank you!"' - your shopkeeper may vary :)
The fact that there is a specific message suggests to me that this is intended behavior.

11-21-2015 07:12 AM
Things are going to change with steam...Bad mechanics aren't just going to be ignored anymore because they are accepted as tradition.

You will see.

11-21-2015 07:36 AM
Ancient Member
I don't think this mechanic is bad, I think it's pretty cool.

11-21-2015 07:47 AM
Quote Originally Posted by Al-Khwarizmi
I don't think this mechanic is bad, I think it's pretty cool.
That's cool that shopkeeper assumes that weapon was a gift. But the fact that he attacks you if you want to get it back is awfully not cool.

11-21-2015 07:53 AM
Ancient Member
What's uncool is that it is inconsistent with the fact that enemy drops are not claimed by the shopkeeper.

Perhaps the shopkeeper could be L/N and that decides their attitude toward accidental drops in their territory.

11-21-2015 08:09 AM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by auricbond
What's uncool is that it is inconsistent with the fact that enemy drops are not claimed by the shopkeeper.

Perhaps the shopkeeper could be L/N and that decides their attitude toward accidental drops in their territory.
This is true, it would make sense that they claimed enemy drops as well.

11-21-2015 08:32 AM

I'd argue it's not really inconsistent as it is the will of the shopkeeper (which is kind of like inconsistency, but with purpose). He likes your items but he doesn't like items that monsters drop. They have monster guts all over them and no one wants that.

He takes whatever he wants - it's his shop.

11-21-2015 10:05 AM
That's an awesome idea!

Lawful shopkeeper: never assumes dropped items are his own, perhaps gives haggling bonus and/or discounts for lawfuls.
Neutral shopkeeper: behaves exactly as current shopkeeper does.
Chaotic shopkeeper: assumes all items on the ground dropped by both PCs and monsters are his own, doesn't haggle with lawful adventurers and/or increases prices for them. Would be nice if they could even disarm lawful PC, saying "How dare you enter my shop with a <weapon> in your hands? Didn't you think about robbing me?" :)

+a little buff to currently useless "Know Allignment" spell if shopkeeper allignment is chosen randomly.

+ Reply