Add (regular) trees to levels with rivers
issueid=1763 01-15-2013 01:47 PM
Number of reported issues by Aielyn: 17
Add (regular) trees to levels with rivers
Make bridge-building easier *and* add an extra touch to the game

I was reading the RFE about having molochs crush trees when moving onto spaces with regular trees on them, specifically where someone noted that trees only really appear in towns and the wilderness, and I had a bit of inspiration.

One of the big problems with the "Bridge-building" skill is the need to carry very heavy logs all the way from the wilderness to the location with the river to be crossed. This is a very slow process, and often problematic.

My suggestion is this - add trees to levels that have rivers (including the water temple level). It makes some sense in terms of the world - with the magical light suffusing the dungeons, the only thing a tree really still needs to survive is a healthy amount of water. If there's a river on that level, that will provide more than enough for the trees to thrive.

It also makes bridge building a much more useful skill, without needing to dramatically alter how it works (a bit of tweaking would still be appreciated).

Other thoughts in connection with this:

1. Once deep enough (DL above some value), there could be a small chance of a tree being generated as an animated tree.
2. Any level with regular water spaces as well as regular land spaces should have some chance of having a tree put into each regular land space. Note that this doesn't include the Tomb of the High Kings, as the water there is not regular water. It also does not include the Water Dragon's Lair, as there is no regular land space in there.
3. In addition to being a source of wood, perhaps DV could be a little higher for any creature (including the PC) standing on a Tree space - the reasoning being that the creature/PC is able to use the tree as an additional form of defense, ducking around the trunk and using it as a kind of shield. The effect needn't be strong, but it would add a little extra flavour, again, to trees.
Issue Details
Issue Number 1763
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Accepted
Priority 7
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 10
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone Potential work pipeline
Votes for this feature 58
Votes against this feature 2
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

02-05-2014 07:46 AM
This is one of those relatively simple to implement features that could really add a lot of atmosphere and depth to the game, as well as make Bridge Building far more useful! I really hope it gets implemented.

10-15-2015 05:35 PM
I can't recall any RFE as successful as this one. No one from the community voted against and there are 39 votes for. TB, The Creator, any chances get this implemented? It shouldn't be that hard to do.

10-16-2015 12:06 PM
Ancient Member
Shows how much attention is really paid to our RFEs - 42:0, posted almost 3 years ago...

10-16-2015 12:24 PM
Ancient Member
I fail to see how this is a buff for bridge-building, unless TOTHK happens to generate a river. You can source logs from the animated forest...

10-16-2015 12:59 PM
Perhaps Giant Mushrooms, that work exactly like trees, but making them to be a dark red 'T', does that sound well?

10-16-2015 01:42 PM
Ancient Member
Only if you can pick up and eat the mushrooms for some temporary color palette change so it looks like chaos plane or emp moloch level +1d50 confusion :D

10-17-2015 09:10 PM
TBF the creator has... how many of these to sort through?

This is still a fantastic idea though. Apparently I thought so in 2013 too. :)

09-29-2016 01:32 PM
Cool idea. I like it too including the mention of rho about the Woodcraft

+ Reply