Alertness and Healing skills can't be wished for
issueid=1513 12-20-2012 07:37 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by Grey: 58
Alertness and Healing skills can't be wished for
It gives perception or +HP instead

Currently wishing for "Alertness" gives +Perception instead of the Alertness skill. Wishing for "Healing" heals up your HP instead of giving the Healing skill. Oh I wish I could wish for these wishes! They're the only skills which can't be directly wished for, which doesn't make a lot of sense, and both can be fairly desirable for a wish (especially Alertness).

Alertness should be easy enough to change. For Healing I'd suggest it gives the skill if you're on >90% HP at the time of the wish.
Issue Details
Issue Number 1513
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Fixed
Priority 8
Affected Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 8
Fixed Version ADOM r71 (v2.2.5)
Milestone Potential work pipeline
Users able to reproduce bug 12
Users unable to reproduce bug 3
Assigned Users adom-admin
Tags (none)

12-20-2012 08:06 PM
Ancient Member
Or you could specify the skill by adding "skill" to the end, e.g. "alertness skill" and "healing skill".

12-20-2012 08:39 PM
Ancient Member
"Alertness" granting perception is a bit mean; I think it would be fine to grant the skill instead. With the healing skill - why not give both a full heal and the skill, or a boost to the skill if already present? That way players can't complain about misinterpretation either way. It's not like the Healing skill is all that powerful. More powerful than in the OP times of Candle, sure, but not as powerful as the rings of regeneration you could also wish for.

12-20-2012 09:11 PM
there is at least two ways to get Healing skill. i think, there is no need to this fix

12-20-2012 09:26 PM
Quote Originally Posted by bl_dw
there is at least two ways to get Healing skill. i think, there is no need to this fix
It's a bug/inconsistency if wishing for other skills gives the actual skill.

12-20-2012 09:33 PM
Ancient Member
Granted, that's true, [though those are not guaranteed for some] but why that doesn't mean it shouldn't be wishable.

12-20-2012 11:08 PM
Ancient Member
I once posted this in a wish-related RFE, but moved it back to my notes for reasons I forgot:

* The Alertness skill cannot be wished for. All attempts will increase the Perception stat instead. Similarly, the Healing skill can't be wished for, fully healing the PC instead. I propose the following fixes:
- wishing for "alertness" should give the homonym skill, and the wish's current effect should be reserved for "perception" instead.
- wishing for "healing" should give you the Healing skill and heal you completely. Using the same wish if you already have the skill should just heal you as it does now.
You're already using a wish, a very powerful form of magic, just to get those skills, so I don't believe it's unbalanced.
PS: while we're at it, I always found it a bit funny that wishing for "nothing" teaches you the Smithing skill.

12-21-2012 03:43 AM
I'd like to point out that, regarding Alertness, it almost necessarily has to be an intentional choice on TB's part to have it give Perception rather than the Alertness skill... unless the Perception stat was originally called Alertness, or something (perhaps someone who was around for the very, very early versions of the game could confirm).

There's a high chance that Healing works the same way - that it was an intentional override of the regular behaviour.

So I suspect that having Alertness and Healing be unavailable by wish was an intentional decision on the part of TB.

Healing can already be obtained early in the game from Jharod or the Mad Doctor (or whatever he's called), if you choose the Carpenter quest. Perhaps if a similar decision arose later in the game, in which one quest (or one way to finish a quest) allows you to obtain Alertness, were implemented, it would address this issue. Here's a possibility that comes to mind:

Right now, if one completes the Arena 20th battle quest, one can get the Golden Gladius, which you can give to Bart in exchange for training in Backstabbing, Tactics, and Two Weapon Combat. Of these, Tactics is perhaps the most significant skill, as it improves the effects of changing tactics. What if there were a different NPC, somewhere, who would also accept the Golden Gladius, in exchange for, say, Alertness, Dodge, and Food Preservation? Why those three? Because I see them as somewhat equivalent in value, and currently unavailable from an NPC. This leaves the player with a choice of which skillset is of greater value.

And since Bart also gives weapons training for it, I'd also perhaps consider having the new NPC give something equivalent to that. But since this RFE is about skills, I won't go into that.

12-21-2012 04:18 AM
Ancient Member
Alertness or Food Preservation alone would be much more valuable than Tactics.

12-21-2012 08:12 AM
Ancient Member
Alertness alone would be much more valuable than Tactics, Backstabbing and Two Weapon Combat combined, for that matter.

12-21-2012 08:31 AM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Aielyn
I'd like to point out that, regarding Alertness, it almost necessarily has to be an intentional choice on TB's part to have it give Perception rather than the Alertness skill... unless the Perception stat was originally called Alertness, or something (perhaps someone who was around for the very, very early versions of the game could confirm).
At a guess I would say that the Alertness skill didn't exist in earlier versions of ADOM, but the Perception stat did. With Healing it's a clear case of overlap of terms. There's no balance reason for these two to be the only skills that can't be wished for, so I must presume it's an unintentional bug. Alertness is a great skill of course, but I'd put it on equal value with Concentration and Find Weakness. Of course TB will chime in eventually to confirm :)

01-06-2013 03:11 PM
Although I have never gained a wish in any ADOM game I've ever played, I agree that this is a very bad bug.
BAD! BAD BUG! BAD. STOP THAT. NO! No. Okay.

:)

01-06-2013 05:16 PM
I always thought this was intentional.

01-07-2013 07:56 PM
Keep in mind that even if you think it is intentional, you are able to reproduce this bug. If you are not able to reproduce this bug, that means that you have wished for Alertness and received the Alertness skill instead of perception.

Any player can confirm the behavior that happens in game; but only the developers can say whether it is a bug or intentional behavior.

01-07-2013 09:03 PM
Ancient Member
I don't see why it would be intentional. Yes, they're powerful skills, but so is Find Weakness, Herbalism or Concentration. It wouldn't make much sense to make precisely these two, and only these two, unwishable.

11-01-2014 04:48 PM
Ancient Member
I wanted to bump this one as I have had a couple of games with early wish and no way to get either healing or alertness because they're unwishable...
Dear Creator, can we get either some feedback about this or some actual fixes done in this department?
Also linked is my RFE about this:
http://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=2970

09-15-2016 11:47 AM
Quote Originally Posted by anon123
PS: while we're at it, I always found it a bit funny that wishing for "nothing" teaches you the Smithing skill.
Does the genie also say "You have chosen wisely"? :-)

It would be easy to disambiguate : wishing for "alertness skill" or "healing skill" grants the skill instead of Perception/HP respectively.

09-27-2016 08:17 AM
The Creator
This always has been intentional as I wanted these two skills to be very rare and also increase the value of the quests giving the healing skill and the value of the race/class combinations getting these skills (particularly for Alertness). I have added a special message to indicate that this behavior is intentional and thus consider the "bug" to be fixed. If you really dislike the behavior and oppose me please submit a feature request and gather votes ;-)

10-26-2016 04:18 PM
Please keep game original as Creator makes it,if you want healing go and make quest,alertness a bit OP for some characters.

+ Reply