Add (regular) trees to levels with rivers
issueid=1763 01-15-2013 01:47 PM
Number of reported issues by Aielyn: 17
Add (regular) trees to levels with rivers
Make bridge-building easier *and* add an extra touch to the game

I was reading the RFE about having molochs crush trees when moving onto spaces with regular trees on them, specifically where someone noted that trees only really appear in towns and the wilderness, and I had a bit of inspiration.

One of the big problems with the "Bridge-building" skill is the need to carry very heavy logs all the way from the wilderness to the location with the river to be crossed. This is a very slow process, and often problematic.

My suggestion is this - add trees to levels that have rivers (including the water temple level). It makes some sense in terms of the world - with the magical light suffusing the dungeons, the only thing a tree really still needs to survive is a healthy amount of water. If there's a river on that level, that will provide more than enough for the trees to thrive.

It also makes bridge building a much more useful skill, without needing to dramatically alter how it works (a bit of tweaking would still be appreciated).

Other thoughts in connection with this:

1. Once deep enough (DL above some value), there could be a small chance of a tree being generated as an animated tree.
2. Any level with regular water spaces as well as regular land spaces should have some chance of having a tree put into each regular land space. Note that this doesn't include the Tomb of the High Kings, as the water there is not regular water. It also does not include the Water Dragon's Lair, as there is no regular land space in there.
3. In addition to being a source of wood, perhaps DV could be a little higher for any creature (including the PC) standing on a Tree space - the reasoning being that the creature/PC is able to use the tree as an additional form of defense, ducking around the trunk and using it as a kind of shield. The effect needn't be strong, but it would add a little extra flavour, again, to trees.
Issue Details
Issue Number 1763
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Accepted
Priority 7
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 10
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone Potential work pipeline
Votes for this feature 58
Votes against this feature 2
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

01-15-2013 01:53 PM
Ancient Member
Yes! I like this a lot.

If we don't want to have normal trees underground, they could always be blue subterranean trees or something like that.

There's a precedent of underground trees in ADOM: animated trees.

Bridge building should still be buffed though, so that it's useful for the RotHK level, unless that level gets trees as well.

01-15-2013 01:55 PM
All my votes for this amazing suggestion. Not only it will make bridge building useful, but also provide more interest and brighten dungeons a little.

01-15-2013 01:57 PM
Ancient Member
Would trees in dungeon block movement? If so, a lot of care would have to be taken here.

01-15-2013 01:59 PM
Why should they block? Trees never make an impassable wall in reality, you can always move between.

01-15-2013 02:07 PM
Ancient Member
All cool ideas. I like the idea of them having a terrain difference in combat too. I'd say they should only grow in rooms, not corridors, and not grow on levels with herbs. Maybe they should be a special "darkwood tree" or something similar to stop the botanists objecting to this departure from reality.

01-15-2013 02:11 PM
Ancient Member
You can move between them in the wilderness, but the wilderness is not a cramped corridor that a tree could take up all the space in. Of course, Grey's solution would prevent this.

01-15-2013 02:19 PM
Ancient Member
Standing on the tree tiles shouldn't be a problem. I just think they'll look odd in corridors. It would be nice if they specifically stuck next to walls only, but that might be too much work. A light scattering across rooms is simple and effective enough.

Also it shouldn't happen on 100% of river levels. Maybe 50/50 chance.

01-15-2013 02:41 PM
Ancient Member
Or maybe you can grow them with plant seeds! :)

01-15-2013 03:50 PM
Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer
Or maybe you can grow them with plant seeds! :)
This seems like good idea for me.

01-15-2013 04:03 PM
Ancient Member
Plant seed, wait a few year, tree appears! Fine for mist elves, I guess...

01-15-2013 04:06 PM
Ancient Member
Just need to pour a cursed potion of youth on the ground over where you planted the seed...

01-15-2013 04:08 PM
Ancient Member
Or bless the seed maybe.

01-15-2013 04:14 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Grey
Plant seed, wait a few year, tree appears! Fine for mist elves, I guess...
Well it works in the wilderness, so why not in other tree supporting places?

edit: Sorry, not true.

01-15-2013 04:53 PM
Love it!

01-16-2013 01:03 AM
Maybe make it so that the DV bonus for standing on trees only applies to character with woodcraft?

01-16-2013 01:28 AM
Quote Originally Posted by rho
Maybe make it so that the DV bonus for standing on trees only applies to character with woodcraft?
Wouldn't 'Tactics' make more sense? And is it actually that complicted to hide behind a tree that you need a skill requirement for it?

01-16-2013 04:20 AM
Hiding behind a tree isn't complicated. Hiding behind a tree while still allowing yourself room to attack, and while also preventing your opponent from hiding behind the tree, and making sure that you don't trip over any roots or fallen branches is definitely more complicated. I think it's reasonable to assume that an experienced woodsman could get a lot more benefit than someone who wasn't as familiar with trees. Also, woodcraft is currently a weak skill, so I thought it would be nice to give it an extra little benefit.

01-16-2013 05:19 AM
Great suggestion, upvoted.

01-16-2013 07:28 AM
All these ideas are great.

Regarding the skill, I've always felt that the chance of success is less than the skill level, and that raising the chance of success to the skill level would be enough of a tweak.

For example, typically I have BB around 50% when it's time to bridge the pirahnas. I lug 8 logs down to the ToHK, then I successfully build only one or two segments--not 4.

02-05-2014 06:56 AM
I just thought I'd bump this up, since people seemed to like the idea.

+ Reply