Improve initial character equipment handling
issueid=4048 11-20-2015 09:29 AM
The Creator
Number of reported issues by adom-admin: 499
Improve initial character equipment handling

Characters should start wielding and wearing their equipment, so that new players don't go unprotected with valuable items in their backpack
Issue Details
Issue Number 4048
Issue Type Task
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Completed
Priority 1 - Highest
Target Version ADOM r62 (v2.0.1)
Completed Version ADOM r64 (v2.0.3)
Milestone Potential work pipeline
Votes to perform 9
Votes not to perform 0
Assigned Users adom-admin
Tags (none)

11-25-2015 11:49 AM
The Creator
ADOM now also tries to somewhat intelligently redistribute items to take more combinations into account.

11-26-2015 02:19 PM
Ancient Member
The only issue is potentially starting with rings of the fish - these are auto-cursing and not nice to wear. If they are removed from the starting equipment list that would help.

11-29-2015 04:49 AM
Perhaps an exception could be made for specific starting items that aren't wear-desirable (RotFs and armour for beastfighters, etcetera) while everything else is worn automatically?
That said, if you start wearing the RotF, you're actually at a reasonable bonus as you don't have to uncurse the thing before it becomes beneficial.

11-29-2015 10:20 AM
I think those who choose heir should carry it at start instead of their default ordinary item.

11-29-2015 05:53 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Grey
The only issue is potentially starting with rings of the fish - these are auto-cursing and not nice to wear. If they are removed from the starting equipment list that would help.
I think a better solution would be to simply not autoequip those (and rings of doom, in the extremely unlikely but possible case you start with one, as was proven by the "starting character distributions" thread). An early ring of the fish can save your life with rivers.

Quote Originally Posted by ixi
I think those who choose heir should carry it at start instead of their default ordinary item.
Makes thematic sense.

11-30-2015 12:31 PM
Is there a way to make the Ring of the Fish equipped AND blessed at the start? That'd be nice (especially if it showed the blessed status). That way it could be removed (once) for free if needed.

11-30-2015 12:48 PM
Ancient Member
Except for hurthlings and their cursed ring, I think all starting equipment, both worn and carried should start uncursed.
That way you cover the case of RotF though ring of doom is still not straightforward.

11-30-2015 06:35 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemous
Except for hurthlings and their cursed ring, I think all starting equipment, both worn and carried should start uncursed.
Why should we disallow the PC from starting with blessed items? (Other than spider bread...)

This petition for a change to Requested was rejected
11-30-2015 09:07 PM
Submitting petition for status change to "Requested" to equip Heir item instead of default ordinary item.

12-02-2015 07:07 AM
I started a mist elf wizard on Monday so I got few hits, hit direction keys twice and died from impure metal! Turned out I was wearing 2 rings of damage. Must have been randomly genned as iron. Intended?

12-02-2015 07:13 AM
The Creator
I'm reopening this to "in progress". ADOM actually should avoid both the RotF and mist elf situation.

12-15-2015 08:05 AM
The Creator
Fixed.

+ Reply