re:swapping z and Z
issueid=4071 11-22-2015 11:16 AM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by auricbond: 264
re:swapping z and Z

Since it won't let me post on the issue itself, here I am presenting a more elaborate idea:

z -> takes you to a menu screen that defaults to spells
Z -> takes you to a menu screen that defaults to wands

(Optional: swap the defaults for non-spellcasters)

Now here's the tricky part:
when entering a menu with either of these keys, hit 'Z' again and it flips to the other menu, and effectively rebinds it to that.

Example:
I press 'z', I am a spellcaster so it takes me to spells, I press 'Z' and it becomes the wand screen. Unless I change it again, hitting 'z' from now on will take me to the wand screen, and it will remain defined that way for this character.

I'm not saying implement it in exactly this manner, but I think the general idea of on-the-fly customizability is worthy of keeping in the back of ones head and exploring further.

*EDIT

Maybe can be implemented in an even more abstract way--just have a 'menus screen' with tabs at the top for every single menu, and you can press a reserved key that rebinds the last-pressed-key to the currently locked on menu. (Could be perhaps be a bit too loosey-goosey in allowing you to screw up your preferred bindings???) Obviously next to each tab it would display what key currently takes you immediately to it. Also not having to back out is taken as given, here.
Issue Details
Issue Number 4071
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 9
Suggested Version ADOM r64 (v2.0.3)
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 0
Votes against this feature 2
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

11-22-2015 12:17 PM
Ancient Member
Z is defaulted to exit menus in the game. If it behaved differently in the spell/wand screen that would be odd. Perhaps tab or something to scroll through action menus?

11-22-2015 01:02 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Grey
Z is defaulted to exit menus in the game. If it behaved differently in the spell/wand screen that would be odd. Perhaps tab or something to scroll through action menus?
I thought it was 'z' to exit menus. Anyway, I'm sure that is a minor obstacle that can be thought of ways around. I actually prefer the broader idea I put at the last paragraph of the RFE.

11-23-2015 12:35 AM
Ancient Member
JellySlayer says this in the "official" RFE:

I've been playing for over 10 years and that sort of change would probably just cause me to make mistakes all the time.
It is a good point and I'd oppose the change based on that alone. Muscle memory is a harsh mistress and I don't think tinkering with a keybinding that's been the same since basically forever would be a good idea. Those who cast spells more often than they zap wands and would prefer easier access can edit the adom.kbd file accordingly - that's why keys are remappable in the first place!

11-23-2015 12:53 AM
Quote Originally Posted by anon123
Those who cast spells more often than they zap wands and would prefer easier access can edit the adom.kbd file accordingly - that's why keys are remappable in the first place!
This argument can support either (old players can rebind their key if most new players prefer the other way). I'm neutral on the subject because like you said, I can rebind my own key. But I think most new people trying out a caster class will find it tiring, as I did.

11-23-2015 01:43 AM
Ancient Member
Fair point. I guess that in the end, as long as the behavior of the Escape key in the Windows port remains unchanged, we could all edit the old keybinding in and be done with it. But I'd prefer that it stays as is.

11-23-2015 09:25 AM
I used to cast spells with [esc]... Not very good habit... How this change would affect it?

11-23-2015 10:48 AM
I'm fairly sure that z is bound to wands and Z to spells because wands are more commonly used overall than spells. 1/3 of the classes in the game really aren't spellcasters but still benefit from quick and easy access to a wand.
It might be nice to see an option to toggle between them for a tenured mage character or a player that mostly plays mage-style classes, but I think it would also get confusing. On the fence!

11-23-2015 07:31 PM
Not to be too presumptious, I thought the unified 'Use' idea would actually remove the need for z=zap as you would just 'u'se a wand.

11-23-2015 08:06 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Esoteric Rogue
Not to be too presumptious, I thought the unified 'Use' idea would actually remove the need for z=zap as you would just 'u'se a wand.
[z] would be shortcut. It brings list of wands in one keypress. Unified use would require to filter complete list of items to show wands only.

+ Reply