[RFE] Expand your Mind(craft)
issueid=2619 01-09-2014 06:16 AM
Number of reported issues by d3vlyn: 1
[RFE] Expand your Mind(craft)
Expand your Mind(craft)

Mindcrafters are the most unique casters in ADoM, being unable to learn spells from books but having access to mental powers not available to any other class. Able to lash out at the minds of enemies and control the physical world with their thoughts, Mindcrafters are truly masters of psionic energy... or at least they would be, if they didn't have to resort to whacking bugs with a mace.

The practice of Mindcraft is known to be difficult to use. Considering it's ineffectiveness against mindless creatures and dangerous backlash when grasping at the minds of the undead, most of the time a Mindcrafter's extensive training goes unused. They have to fall back on a more primitive form of combat, by picking up the heaviest object they can find and swinging it wildy at the nearest hostile creature. An action hardly worthy of a fully fledged Mindcrafter.

But then, are they fully fledged? They have spent so long training in the mystical art of Mindcraft, and all they've managed to learn is how to be confusing. I can honestly understand why a goblin rockthrower would be confused that a 7000 year old Gray Elf Mindcrafter hasn't learnt how to do anything useful. It takes a whole 15 levels before he can harm a simple insect with his powers.

So, cynicism aside, I put forward my suggested enhancement of Mindcraft to bring its power up to the level (I feel) it should be.

New spells

The current repertoir of Mindcraft spells is limited, and some are difficult to find uses for. The addition of some new utilities will give a Mindcrafter more options in a fight.

New spells:

(1) - Telekinesis

General purpose spell available at level 1, granting the ability to affect a single target within a specific range. Can be used to do light-medium damage to an enemy, open/close a door, pick up an object or set off a known trap. Possibly dangerous if used against the wrong type of enemy.

This is the type of spell I was expecting when first using a Mindcrafter, and have always wished it existed. Has a lot of interesting uses and YASD possibilities. Replaces the Telekinetic Blast spell.

(15) - Levitate

Sustained ability granting levitation on self until de-activated or you run out of PP. Base energy cost for movement while levitating is reduced to 800.

A utility spell that allows a Mindcrafter to get over water, escape from a dangerous fight or just look really cool.

(22) - Stasis

Freeze a single target in stasis (paralysis) for a few turns, increasing in duration based on Willpower.

Another utility spell using telekinetic power, thus usable on undead/mindless enemies.

(32) - Stasis Wave

Attempt to put all enemies into stasis (paralysis) around you, increasing in radius based on Willpower.

Just an AoE version of Stasis, similar to Confusion Wave but using telekinetic power.

Early game weakness

This is a feature of the Mindcrafter that should not be changed. It is meant to be a difficult class, one that struggles early but shines later. The only suggested improvement is to add the above Telekinesis ability, allowing for some ranged Mindcraft-based damage for starting characters (as well as the other uses Telekinesis has).

Weapons will still be required early on to defeat most monsters, but you are not forced to use them as your main form of combat for the whole game (of course, you still can if you wish).

Utility

Having the ability to confuse monsters easily throughout the game is invaluable, however this is the only utility feature a Mindcrafter gets. Learning useful spells is impossible by reading books, and wands/potions of wonder are unfortunately the only way I know of.

So a few new utility spells would go a long way, such as Levitate and Stasis, to provide more control in fights against undead and the greatest enemy of all... water.
Issue Details
Issue Number 2619
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 10 - Lowest
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 21
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 4
Votes against this feature 4
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

01-09-2014 07:01 AM
Ancient Member
Levitation should also make you ignore traps.

I like the proposed idea. I feel that stasis may need to be balanced.

01-09-2014 09:20 AM
Ancient Member
Telekinesis is very powerful as a level 1 power if it can be used attack stuff. I like utility applications, especially trap triggering.

Levitation is ok.

Stasis and Stasis Wave are kinda powerful (pretty much removing the need for confusion at all). Perhaps they should be changed to sustained powers which require the PC as well to stand in one place? More powerful monsters are able to break the stasis field which deals slight backslash damage?

01-09-2014 12:53 PM
Yeah, I think the stasis ideas appear to make confusion redundant, but a very high PP cost (or sustained) would help balance.

Damage from Telekinesis would be low, but would get a little better with levels. Once you get GTB you would never use Telekinesis for damage again, just for the other cool stuff.

01-09-2014 02:08 PM
Ancient Member
Stasis seems very powerful to me, especially considering that it works on undead/constructs, who are generally immune to paralysis (but even then, paralysis is very powerful and is only accessible in most cases through use of a rare wand). One of the main features/drawbacks to Mindcraft is that mindless creatures are immune to it.

01-09-2014 02:55 PM
Ancient Member
I like mindcrafters the way they were created. They do learn Music so they don't have to fight bugs, but they still can swing at them or stab them. Those confusion powers are really powerful too.

Edit - Forgot to say, undead is kind of a mindcrafters' 'nemesis' and that is good. Every class should have some 'nemesis'.

01-09-2014 08:47 PM
Levitaion is-no need bridge building,no need SLB,no need frost bolt,no deaths from planned traps in some places,too OP for me

01-17-2014 04:33 PM
Maybe movement cost from levitation should be worse than from blessed SLB and do NOT stack with it.

It would be fun if telekinesis could push enemies around. Without dealing significant damage.
Not sure how difficult it is to implement... are there any knockback mechanics in ADOM?

01-17-2014 10:16 PM
Stasis could just be that they can't move from their square.

+ Reply