damage type specific attack messages
issueid=269 07-17-2011 11:12 PM
Number of reported issues by BFBeast666: 17
damage type specific attack messages
because only striking at foes is boring!

Just an idea: Instead of the generic "You strike at the orc and {result of action}" you could - since the properties are already in place - add a specific kind of attack message for damage type.

Example:
Piercing weaponry: "You stab the orc.."
Blunt weaponry: "You bash (hehe, or SMITE!) the orc"
Slashing weaponry "You slash the orc"

And, to be nitpicky: "You strike at the orc" assumes that your hits connect. Even if you don't want to implement damage-type specific messages, you might try "swing" instead.
Issue Details
Issue Number 269
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM II (formerly known as JADE)
Category Unknown
Status Implemented
Priority 8
Suggested Version Unknown
Implemented Version JADE 0.1.3
Votes for this feature 2
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

07-18-2011 07:40 PM
The Creator
Added. Send me your real name to creator(at)ancientdomainsofmystery.com.

07-18-2011 08:19 PM
Ancient Member
Furthermore I think that

* When somebody misses, it should be a simple "x misses y". Much shorter and faster to read than "x strikes at y with a <weapon> but misses!". Or replace the verb "strikes at" with "misses" and omit the "...but misses!"; this preserves the info about the attacking weapon.
* When there is a critical hit, the "critically hitting" feels clumsy and redundant when there is "moderately wounding/ killing x" right after it. "with full force", "in a vital spot" (ADOM equivalents IIRC) would sound better and less gameruley.
* Natural attacks should also get their own verbs: "The rat bites you..." "The orc punches..."
* Maybe even remove the "lightly/moderately/etc wounding you" when it is the player who is being attacked. Player wound status is redundant when you can see it easily in the status bar.

07-19-2011 01:37 AM
Actually, I'd prefer if Thomas keeps the in-line wound status, for people who don't always check the sidebar (like blind players with screen readers). Just my two cents though.

07-20-2011 12:42 PM
Ancient Member
More thoughts:

* The natural attack of immaterial monsters like ghosts and shadows should be "touch", punching would feel out-of-character. "The shadow touches you. You feel weak!"
* Have the death reason in highscore list depend on attack type. Blunt weapon: "Had his face smashed by an orc". Piercing weapon: "Was impaled by a goblin scavenger". Slashing weapon: "Had his body slit open by a kobold". Biting: "Was eaten alive by a rat". Touching: "Was poked to death by a ghost".

08-18-2011 02:05 PM
Ancient Member
Bump... most of my ideas didn't get implemented. I'd really like to see "critically hitting x" changed to "with full force" and simplification of "...but misses" messages. (Should I make a separate RFE?)

08-18-2011 07:32 PM
The Creator
Actually most of the suggestions came after I closed the ticket :-) Please open a new ticket as some of the ideas are really good :-) !

+ Reply