Quality of life improvements for pet classes
issueid=1617 01-02-2013 10:45 PM
Number of reported issues by tootboot: 5
Quality of life improvements for pet classes
Pets aren't as useful as they could be because of mechanics issues

Issue #1: If you have higher than average speed, most pets will tend to lag way behind the player. If they're not in sight they can't be commanded.
Potential solution: Make pets move at the same speed as their master so they won't lag as far behind.
Potential solution: Implement a low-level item that summons pets to their master.

Issue #2: It's difficult to play with pets because a minimum of 3 keypresses are required to make them attack anything. If you fail a couple of times in a row you could be looking at 9 keypresses to get them to attack one monster.
Potential solution: Reduce the number of keypresses required to command a pet to attack. This could be done by making a pet attack key that works the way archery works. Hitting the key once targets the nearest monster, tapping it again commands the pet to attack it.
Potential solution: Implement a 'guard me' command where the pet will automatically attack monsters that are hostile to the player.
Issue Details
Issue Number 1617
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 7
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 8
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 22
Votes against this feature 1
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

03-13-2015 08:08 AM
Ancient Member
Would also be nice if when you ascend/descend stairs and they aren't adjacent, they can still catch up with you (unless they're in 'wait' state), much like when you first arrive on a wilderness area they aren't there for the first turn and then it describes them arriving.

I think if quality-of-life is improved too much though, that companions should be nerfed a bit (and my suggestion of capping or slowing down their levels should also be in place, I think), as their current cumbersome handling provides an inherent, if maybe accidental, drawback. The only other drawbacks they have currently are acting as an exp sink and the potential for them to turn on you.

I remember when I read the ADOM manual back in the late 90's, and my imagined vision of a necromancer after reading the class synopsis was of him having an undead horde much like Nonnak's. Well, you sort-of can (on a smaller scale) but not really, and not practically. I'm not saying one should go that far, and maybe slaves should expire if it ever got that viable to effectively take over a level like that. But right now companions really aren't versatile, and some extra thought put into improving their versatility would not be mis-placed, in my opinion.

+ Reply